Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Thinking Ahead and Back

In knitting, I'm looking ahead:

That means men's socks. I'm hoping to gift many of the men in my life socks for Hanukkah. I haven't knit a lot of socks for men, so I'm going with 2-by-2 ribbing, which I think is very safe in terms of fit. Not the most interesting knitting, so I decided I needed to invest in a good audiobook to keep me going.
Nixonland is serious nonfiction, but so well-written that I have a hard time turning it off.  The author is a journalist, which makes for better writing than many historians. (Or am I, a former newspaper journalist, biased?) It's very relevant today because it charts the beginning of the current divide between the two major parties, between the right and the left in America.

It's also a fascinating portrait of an unusual politician. Richard Nixon was a very unappealing man who managed to become president. I always wondered how that happened (I was a child at the time). The answer: he was a very smart politician.

I've got five more days of school before summer vacation. This year, I have very mixed feelings. I have a great group of kids this year. They are an exceptionally bright group so we are able to have great discussions about things like history and current events. I'm going to miss these guys!

I'm joining Nicole to see what everyone is up to.

8 comments:

  1. That's perfect yarn for a mens socks. I love the light blue shading.
    Nixon....what a puzzle he was!
    Love that you will miss your students

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your book sounds interesting...I might have to take a peek. I'm glad you enjoyed your students this year...it must be difficult to not get attached with kids you work so closely with for a whole year. I'm sure they are going to miss you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love this color! I'm sure the Hanukkah socks will be much appreciated. They look super comfy.

    The book sounds very interesting. I think I'll put it on my library list!

    The end of the school year is so bittersweet. I hope you and your students have an amazing last week together and that you run into each other throughout the summer so you can enjoy their company again.

    Thank you for popping by my blog today, and for taking the time to comment! It's so nice to "meet" you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect for men's socks and a lovely colour. I've said goodbye to some of my students in the last few weeks as they do their exams - I will miss most of them. But then there is the next batch!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy End of school and hello summer!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like your sock yarn! Have a great vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 2x2 ribbing is perfect to accommodate any fit issues. These will be lovely gifts. Enjoy your Summer, and hopefully you get another bunch of great students next term!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 2x2 ribbing is perfect to accommodate any fit issues. These will be lovely gifts. Enjoy your Summer, and hopefully you get another bunch of great students next term!

    ReplyDelete