Sunday, June 7, 2015

Can You Kumihimo?

I hadn't touched my kumihimo things in months, but my friend Tsela asked me if I'd teach her how to do it. I love doing art/crafts with other people, so I pulled out my supplies and began to get organized.

Kumihimo is an ancient Japanese braiding technique that is done with a disk like the one in the picture. It is traditionally done with silk cords, but I like it much better with beads.
I realized that the last time I tried to teach someone what a disaster. I found the partly complete necklace that my friend Joni worked on last summer. You would think that a teacher would be able to teach an adult how to do a reasonably simple task. But I rushed her through the steps. Most importantly, I didn't teach her the way I taught myself.

So, here is my tip for anyone who wants to kumihimo with beads: First, learn the braiding pattern with an inexpensive fiber like Rattail, which you can find at most craft stores. Then try it with beads.

Once I got Tsela going, I unbraided Joni's necklace (the one in the photo) and braided it for. Won't she be surprised when it arrives in the mail!

6 comments:

  1. How fascinating. I love the look of this and will have to investigate it. Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the green and blue colors you've chosen. very cool

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. I'd never hear of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of that. It sure does make a pretty necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister has conquered this technique, but I haven't tried it. The results are gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard if this. Something else for me to try!

    ReplyDelete