Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Happy With the Sock; the Book, Not So Much

Got up and went to work this morning for a meeting. I've come to terms with the fact that teachers can't even pretend to have summers off! No one tells us we HAVE to work, but we need to work in order to be ready for the fall. That's just the way it is.

At this morning's meeting, I almost finished one of the many men's socks I'm knitting as holiday gifts:

But, I didn't quite make it. I wish I could find the ball band because I really like the color of the yarn:

I just finished You Should Have Known by Jean Hanff Korelitz, and I was disappointed. The story centers on a woman whose husband suddenly disappears and then she finds out that she didn't really know him at all. I usually love this type of plot.
I found the writing sloppy and filled with irrelevant detail and the plot very predictable. Even worse, the author didn't tie up all the lose ends.

I gave up on The Happiness Project. Many of my commenters last week said they found it, well, less than compelling. I agree. I also thought she went into a tedious amount of detail about her thought process. The author's life is such a good one that it doesn't make for much of a story.

But I'm leaving for the East Coast today to visit family, and I'm going to start The Orphan Master's Son when I get to the airport. It won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction, so I'm anticipating a well-written book. It is set in modern-day North Korea, and I don't see how that can fail to be fascinating!

Don't forget to check in with Nicole at Frontier Dreams to see what everyone is crafting.

9 comments:

  1. love the sock. sorry the book was a stinker. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sock is fab, love the colour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice manly looking socks.

    Have you read Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult? I started it last week and it's been pretty interesting. There are some twists that you just don't know how they are going to end up. Keeps you reading just a little bit more than you intended each time. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you do a contrasting toe? That's a really nice color. At the moment I'm reading The Bartender's Tale and enjoying it. It's the first Ivan Doig book I've read, and I'm enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love love the simple sock. Muted colors in the sock are lovely

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the sock and the yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. have safe travels and fun! lovely sock and I like the color as well. I have the book you gave up on and now I'm going to put off reading it..for now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. happy travels!!! I love the east coast...which part are you headed to?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The sock looks great! I love reading the book reviews. I hate when bad writing distracts from what could be a great story/plot.

    Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete