Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Crafting On in the Nation's Capital

Well, now I am in Washington, D.C., where it is also hot. High of 97 today! However, I love love love Washington in any weather. Besides, my brother's house is air conditioned. And I am mostly here to hang out with him and his family.

I've been knitting away at my Pebble Beach Shawl. It is a great travel project -- pretty repetitive and simple.
I had high hopes for The Orphan Master's Son but I'm finding it a tough read. Although it's set in North Korea, it isn't really about daily life there, and that is what I was hoping for. It more of an adventure/intrigue story. The writing is excellent and the plot is intricate, but it is not a fun vacation read. I can't decide if I'm going to finish it or not.
Cloth Paper Scissors magazine is having a Zentangle contest and I'm going to submit something even though I know I don't have a chance of winning. This is my first attempt. It's OK, but I don't like it enough to spend $15 to submit it.
 I already have a few more ideas started in my sketchbook. I know my Zentangles are good, but they aren't great and there are some amazing tanglers out there.

I haven't had time to read blogs for a few days, so I look forward to catching up with you all when I get home later this week.

I'm joining up with Frontier Dreams today for Keep Calm & Craft On.

11 comments:

  1. I so wish I could have met up with you on Friday! But as I suspected, the tunnel was backed up for miles. Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your Zentangle looks pretty great! Love the saying on the mug!

    Have a good time in DC. It's a great city!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pebble beach looks great, such a beautiful colour. I have never heard of a zentangle, I am off to Google it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love love your zen penmanship! You are great!
    I love your shawl color.
    Im off to read others posts on your link from frontier dreams

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, zentangle sure seems fun. Good luck!
    I have never been to DC but everytime I hear about it I get enticed. Maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That shawl is going to be stunning when it's blocked out. Love the colour

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just spent the afternoon with tea and a tangler yesterday....fascinating stuff!!! I think your design is superb! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you're having fun. That yarn is an amazing colour...so vibrant. Tanglers are new to me...I must do a bit of research. Enjoy Washington, I've never been but my daughter has and I know she had an awesome time.
    Keep cool and enjoy all your projects.
    debx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just purchased the pebble beach shawl pattern. What weight are you knitting it in? I'm going to attempt lace I think. The color you chose is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I lived in Lynchburg for 18 months when I was just out of college and it was brutally hot. I moved to Florida on July 3 and could not believe how much cooler it felt. Hugs to you, Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty shawl, and I can't believe you drew that, is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete