Friday, June 12, 2015

Frugal on Friday

When you knit a stack of Almost Lost Dishcloths, you end up with a pile of cotton skeins, none large enough for an entire dishcloth. I decided they were too good to toss, so I decided to make modern art ... er, Grandma's Favorite Dishcloths -- cobbled together with the leftover yarn.
So, it's not a thing of beauty, but it will work just fine in my own kitchen. There will be more awkward-looking dishcloths in the future. But don't hold your breath, my hands can only handle knitting with cotton for limited times.

I started summer vacation this morning by waking up, making coffee, and then going back to bed to read for awhile. Totally decadent!

9 comments:

  1. That's another favorite pattern of mine, too, and a great way to use the scraps. You may think it looks awkward, but gosh, it's much classier than most "normal" dishcloths. Sounds like a great way to start the day; are you reading something fun?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made several almost lost dishcloths with bits and bobs of leftover yarn, they are not dazzling but they are functional.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. well deserved late morning sleep in! I love your dishcloths. They never go to waste. Cotton is very hard on my knitting/crochet joints. I have to use it in small doses

    ReplyDelete
  4. Summer break is fabulous! I've been knitting washcloths too! Great minds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a perfect way to start the day.

    I actually love my scrappy dishcloths. They reminds me of all the fancy ones I've made.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do this too! Recently I pieced an Almost Lost dishcloth which turned out quite pretty. I started with a solid color of which I had plenty, then for the next "point " used the self striping, then solid and so on. I had lots of little bits of different self striping cotton enough to six sections. When finished it almost looked like a patchwork quilt design. The tedious part was securing all the little ends after each section but it was really cute. I gave it to my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I've done that so many times and people who do not knit think it's a design element! funny! Love that you are using every last bit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Summer Vacation...decadence all the way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your summer break's off to a good start! Now that's how I would like to begin the day.

    It's a good feeling to use up all that leftover yarn, esp. in a practical way. I like to crochet dishcloths to use up cotton yarn (easier on my wrists), but they're not quite as nice to use as knit dishcloths.

    ReplyDelete