Tuesday, June 9, 2015

A Controversial Yarn and Some Books, Too

I bought this skein of Plymouth Kudo  a year or two ago because I loved the colors and feel of the cotton/linen blend. This colorway screams summer to me and I was sure I could find a pattern that would make a perfect warm-weather accessory.
But the first few patterns I tried just didn't work with the yarn so I did what I should have done in the first place: looked at Ravelry. Out of curiosity, I first clicked on "Comments." The first one reads:
"This yarn breaks pretty easily - handle with care while knitting, especially if you have tighter tension." And a lot of the comments echoed this. Wow, I probably wouldn't have bought it if I'd read the comments first.

And I'm not sure that would have been a good thing. This yarn has its defenders and I am liking it. After looking through projects made with Kudo, I settled on the Gallatin Shawl, and so far I'm liking the way it looks. It's a nice, mindless knit, too.

As for books, I just finished Thew Swerve by Steven Greenblatt, which tells the story of how a papal secretary found a copy of Lucretius's poem On the Nature of Things in a monastary in 1417. Greenblatt makes a pretty convincing argument that this ancient poem, which puts forth ideas such as atoms as the building block of the universe, was instrumental in making the modern world. It's mostly a good read and interesting. Some parts are a bit more intellectual than I felt like reading, so I just skimmed them.
I've started The Happiness Project for about the 5th time. If it doesn't take this time, I'm donating it. It is a little hard to get excited about a wealthy New Yorker's attempt to make her life even happier. But it's been very popular so maybe there is something to it. Has anyone read it?

Two more days of school!

I'm checking in with Frontier Dreams to see what everyone else is up to this week.

13 comments:

  1. I have read The Happiness Project ....I found the author quite self-absorbed. :-(

    I love the way your new project is knitting up. It looks like it is showing off the pattern very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read it but if I remember correctly I skimmed a lot. And I remember thinking she was a bit controlling and stressed over her nice life, but there were a few good things from it, so my suggestion is skim away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the yarn and I think I may have a ball of it myself somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read The Happiness Project...took the ideas she had and tried to apply to my life. She has some insights I found valuable but yes to the "woe is me in my nice life." As long as you are reading for the ideas and not get hung up in the details of her life.
    Also love the thoughts on your yarn. I will also say that yarn experiences are deeply personal and what works for one person does not always work for another and vice versa. I'm excited to see what your lovely shawl looks like :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colours of that yarn so I hope the knitting goes well as I'd love to see the finished article.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful projects!! Yay for 2 days left!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the yarn and the pattern you've chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The shawl looks fabulous, well done on taming your yarn!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have had that shawl in my ravelry library forever, I think that yarn will be perfect for it.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you found the pattern for that yarn. I love the look of the pattern, and it does not look mindless at all.
    I liked the Happiness Project. Some of it was obvious; I did learn to evaluate myself and I learned Im an abstainer not a moderator. With dieting I'm better off not eating at all than having JUST a FEW potato chips

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmmm I haven't read either of those books :(
    Love the yarn. I haven't knitted with it, but I just finished a project with very similar yarn from Rowan. Splitty yarn can get annoying fast, but I am glad you like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't know that particular yarn but I think I've knit with similar. Rowan Felted Tweed tears like that. I didn't mind the knitting, but any attempts to sew seams or weave in ends were very frustrating! Haven't read the "Happiness Project" - makes me think of Eat. Pray. Love which I did read but didn't much like.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous yarn. Looks like ice cream colours :)

    ReplyDelete