Thursday, June 25, 2015

Home with Sweet Memories

One of the things that is hardest is for me is living far away from my brothers. Since I left journalism and became a teacher a decade ago, I try to spend a chunk of my summer vacation with my brothers on the East Coast.

This year, we braved the heat to pick sour cherries ...
which was totally worth it because my brother Mike make this:
He's quite the pie master.

But, of course, the real reason I go is the people. My brothers and their partners are so warm and welcoming. We talk on the phone all year, but it isn't the same as talking in person. And my nieces and nephews are growing into amazing people.

Rebecca just finished her freshman year of high school. This summer she is writing a book, working as a camp counselor, and going to Shakespeare camp.
In Williamsburg, I got to hang out with Robbie and Theo. Robbie, who also just finished his freshman year, took a Spanish class at the College of William and Mary in June, so he is all set for a family trip to South America. Theo is the baby of the family, but he is growing up fast.
Not pictured is my niece, Jennifer, who just graduated from Davidson College and will soon be moving to Los Angeles to work for a consulting firm. Wasn't it just yesterday that she insisted on wearing her Belle costume every day???

As much as I miss them all, it is nice to be home. I had a long phone conversation with my daughter in Miami this afternoon. She was in Israel while I was out East, so I was excited to hear about her trip. And this weekend I hope to see my son, who is taking it easy after his first year of vet school.

When my daughter was little, she said that we should buy a big house so that we could live with her aunts, uncles, and cousins. I still think that's a pretty darn good idea!

6 comments:

  1. It is SO nice to hear about a family that enjoys spending time together. Sometimes it seems like that is a very rare thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look as happy to be with you as you are to be with them. Glad you had a great time on your wonderful trip.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't William and Mary Lovely? Your trip and family sound perfect. Cherries....my family would LOVE that pie.
    Your niece is (nonchalantly) writing a BOOK THIS SUMMER?? That's huge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an aunt who teaches at William and Mary, but I have never been there myself. It looks like you had a much needed vacation and family time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your family is beautiful...and you look so happy to be with them!!! I'm with your daughter and that big house sharing idea...Have a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I'm so glad you had a good trip! I see great minds and great talent runs in the family! Your family would make anyone proud. I'm glad they love you so much and treat you well. Pie!!

    ReplyDelete