Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Gearing Up For Knitting Camp

In 48 hours, I leave for Meg Swansen's Knitting Camp in Marshfield, Wisconsin. Whoo-hoo! I have to admit that I am as nervous as I am excited. I am not a very confident knitter, so I am sure that everyone else will knit better (whatever that means!) than I do. I'm actually OK with that.  I do worry that I will find out that I do everything wrong and I will have to relearn everything.

I would worry about people laughing at some of my knitting habits, but I have found that knitters are unusually nice people.

I have made some progress on my homework, the Spiral Yoke Baby Sweater:
I'm using lavander and purple Encore Worsted because I think it's a sturdy yarn for kids and the baby I have in mind has a mom who loves purple.

I am not sure what else to bring, knitting-wise, so I'm going to fill an entire suitcase with the yarn and projects. That is the beauty of traveling by car -- no luggage limits!

I stumbled on two knitting books that I just HAD to have.

Obviously, I could not resist Handknitting by Meg Swansen. I thought reading a bit of in advance would help me understand her knitting approach.

And what leftie could resist a book called Knitting for Anarchists? Anna Zilboorg has written some gorgeous books about knitting ethnic (and elaborate!) hats and mittens. This looks like an entirely different animal. Besides, I never get tired of reading about knitting. Do you?

I'll be joining Nicole for Keep Calm Craft On and Ginny for Yarn Along. Join us!

17 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful time at the knitting camp I'm sure it will be loads of fun.
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your baby sweater. And your knitting is fabulous and we all have our ways so no one will laugh at you. Have a lovely time and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun, take lots of pictures, and share with us!! It sounds like a great treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great time! In my experience when you walk into a group like that there's usually a wide range of skills. It's always nice to meet much better knitters because they're typically generous with their advice without being jerks, and isn't learning new things one of the reasons to go?

    I went to a drop spindle class once and struggled to get the twist right. A self-proclaimed "artist" was mocking and unkind ... until the very end when it turned out her yarn was so unevenly twisted that even after plying it was unusable. My approach is just to mind my own stitches, and in the end I guess I got the last laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like such fun. Have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, you're lucky to be going to camp! The color palette you chose fo the wee sweater is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you tell us all about the camp when you come back, you lucky gal!! I would love that!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those colours! The very idea of a knitting camp has made my heart beat a bit faster today, you are a lucky person!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am jealous, Meg Swanson! Meg and her mother Elizabeth are my heroes! have a wonderful time and be sure to share every detail when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I took a class years ago with Anna Zilboorg.....she is certainly 'her own person'; (and quite opinionated!!! I thought she was a total hoot....some of my favorite knitting camp stories came out of that class!!!!)
    sounds like the injury is behaving enough that you are going to have a fun fun fun time!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a wonderful time :-) I love the look of that sweater, looking forward to seeing more of it

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have fun at knitting camp! I need to do that some year... Sounds like an amazing time.

    Thanks also for sharing my cria story with your soon to be vet son. I am so glad things worked out for everyone, and hope the animal will be nothing but fun for the new owner!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That first paragraph I can completely relate to. Those odd knitting insecurities and you think to yourself, I know that doesn't completely make sense out loud, but ... that's how I feel. Have a wonderful time. I know you will, because you're right, Knitters are unusually nice people :) -- and you're a knitter! win + win!

    How much do I love that there is a book titled Knitting for Anarchists?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have a great time! I'm guessing you'll find out that you are a better knitter than you think! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cool! Hope you had an amazing time :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cool! Hope you had an amazing time :)

    ReplyDelete