Saturday, January 31, 2015

Turning Pages

Lately, I've noticed a lot of fiber bloggers often write about what they are reading -- or want to read -- and I love hearing about what people are -- and are not -- liking literary-wise. So, I'm going to try to do a weekly Turning Pages post because I am a pretty big book worm.
A few days ago, I finished Euphoria by Lily King, a novel that turned up on a lot "Best Books of 2014 Lists."  It's a fictional story based very loosely on Margaret Mead's experiences in New Guinea in 1933, when a love triangle developed among herself, her husband, and another male anthropologist.

It's an excellent and quick read. The graceful prose takes you into the wilds of New Guinea at a time when "primitive" societies were considered exotic and dangerous. In fact, there was quite a bit of danger, from both man and disease -- not to mention the human heart. King has done her research well and transports her readers to that time and place.

I would think that the ending might generate a good deal of controversy among readers. Although I was not enamoured of it, it didn't mar the reading experience for me. It is a trip well worth taking.

3 comments:

  1. I just finished Big Little Lies by Liane Morality and really enjoyed it, I will look this book up it looks great.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to look this one up, sounds good. word of mouth is my most reliable source of finding new
    reads.

    I've just finished Burial Rites, Hannah Kent and am halfway through the Goldfinc, Donna Tartt. Both excellent

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to look this one up, sounds good. word of mouth is my most reliable source of finding new
    reads.

    I've just finished Burial Rites, Hannah Kent and am halfway through the Goldfinc, Donna Tartt. Both excellent

    ReplyDelete