Saturday, January 24, 2015

Knitting Heaven Right Here In Wisconsin

By the time I found out about Sun Valley Fibers January Thaw Retreat, it was full. I asked to be put on the wait list, but I had no hope that I'd get in. Who wouldn't want to spend two days surrounded by friendly knitters and some of the smooshiest yarn in the business?

Then, by some miracle, a spot opened up. I could not resist. The retreat is right here in Madison, so I had no travel or hotel expenses! I immediately cast on a hat with Sun Valley Fibers DK.


I requested a personal day so I could attend all day Friday, but my employer denied me. So I rushed over yesterday when I was finished working and dived right in. When you walk in the conference room, you are greeted with a huge wall of yarn. (Pictures coming, I promise.) Sun Valley Fibers is known for their beautiful saturated colors. It's a small, family-run company in rural Mount Horeb, less than an hour from Madison, that makes absolutely devine yarn.

I didn't know anyone but I was immediately welcomed by a group of Madison knitters who adopted me. Really, no group is as nice as knitters. We talked and laughed well into the evening.

There were tons of spinners, too. While I have no interest in spinning, I love to watch it and talk to the spinners. As one told me last night, "You have a more intimate relationship with the yarn when you spin it yourself." I'm sure that's true. Still, as long as there are companies like Sun Valley Fibers, I'll be perfectly happy to buy my yarn!


9 comments:

  1. Sucks that you couldn't get a personal day....but glad it was such a good day for you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had a personal day denied; what's up with that? Glad you enjoyed the time nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, and you work so hard? Can't imagine why you were denied; that doesn't lead to good employee relations. Anyhow, glad you were able to catch some of it at least as it sounded like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, and you work so hard? Can't imagine why you were denied; that doesn't lead to good employee relations. Anyhow, glad you were able to catch some of it at least as it sounded like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi again, As of about 3 days ago, I can no longer access your blog through Bloglovin. It just keeps coming up no recent posts. Very weird. Your blog seems to be the only one affected this way, and I can't figure out why.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You lucky duck, how fun! It sounds like knitting Heaven.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've found for the most part, knitters are a very friendly group. It's nice that you got to get together for at least a little while.

    Your boss, I'm guessing, is NOT a knitter. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. They do a knit camp here in TX - if I can afford it I'm going next year. It sounds like you met some lovely ladies and had some amazing knit time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so happy for you that a spot opened up and you were able to attend. Boo to the employer who obviously is not a knitter....I would have approved of the personal day!!

    ReplyDelete