Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Keep Calm Craft On

There was a second knit that trended during the Sun Valley Fibers January Thaw Retreat this past weekend:
It's called Quicksilver, and it is a stunning shawl. It was designed by Melanie Berg of Germany and calls for SunValley Fibers yarn, but it would look stunning in any fingering-weight yarn. I almost bought the teals and gold in the sample because they are so striking. At the last moment, I decided to try something of my own. Honestly, I was not thinking of February 14 when I chose these colors, but the timing is kind of sweet.

It's not a hard knit, but it's not mindless either. And it's forcing me to do something I generally resist: count. I've always been math-averse, so I am an expert at fudging in my knitting when something is off by a few stitches. But I don't see that working here. So, I've been counting every single row. It's amazing how great it feels to know when I've got the right number of stitches! It does slow the process, but I'm realizing that it is far better than frogging and reknitting down the road.

I am quite jealous of those of you were buried in snow yesterday. I could really use a snow day! I've never seen so little snow in a Wisconsin winter.

I'm linking up with Nicole today; come join in the fun!

13 comments:

  1. I looked it up on Rav - it looks stunning! I actually prefer your colour choices, so will look forward to seeing it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that really is a great shawl - I can't wait to see yours!

    Our winter has been blah also - and the "big storm" here ended up with barely 2 inches. A waste of perfectly good snow. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree...with Jayne above. Your colour combination is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would adding markers every 10th increase help reduce the counting time? Lovely color combo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, that shawl is gorgeous!!! I cannot wait to see the finished project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like a fun knit, not too hard and not too easy. Love the colors that you picked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How is that shawl not already in my favorites? It is so stunning. I like her colors, but yours are gorgeous too. A perfect Valentine's knit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great colors! You get snow days?! I haven't had one of those since high school - not even when the temps dropped to -40ºF in the early 1990s

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great pattern and your colors are perfect. I'm looking forward to watching your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ugh oh counting! That's always tricky! for me.

    I LOVE teal and gold..will have to work on that soon
    Your valentines colors are sweet

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the colors. I've never made a shawl, but there are so many pretty ones out there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey lady. I started my shawl. How do you carry your yarn? Do you cut it after/before every wedge?

    Thanks for your input!

    ReplyDelete