Sunday, January 25, 2015

A Whole Amazing Day of Knitting


"So, you're going to knit all day?" my husband asked me, clearly puzzled.
"Yep."
"Just knit?"
"Yep."
"I don't get that at all," he concluded.

That was the conversation we had yesterday morning as I headed out to a full day of the Sun Valley January Thaw Retreat. There were classes, but I really just wanted to knit and talk without any kind of schedule to follow. And it was awesome.

As promised, here is the wall of yarn:
 Jeanette's colors are amazing. We all spent a lot of time petting the yarn. As you can see, she actually sold out of some colors.
On Friday night, there were door prizes. For everyone. "That's the way I roll," quipped Jeanette. I was one of the luckiest because I won this:
 For the uninitiated, this is a Yarn Buddy. As Jeannette and husband George say on their website, it's a lazy susan for your caked yarn. It is perfect timing for me because I used a ball winder for the first time at the retreat and now I'm a believer. I have a swift but I've been making yarn balls by hand. Not only are yarn cakes nicer to use, they also wind up SO much faster. I'm ordering one today. Frankly, I've been an idiot for not getting one years ago!

I was reminded of the power of samples. Jeannette had this out on a table.
It's Wendy Johnson's Leftovers Cowl. I've had my eye on this project for a long time. And I was clearly not the only one who was entranced by Jeannette's version. Jeannette thoughtfully offered a bin of mini-skeins that are perfect for this project. And they were a big hit. A number of people bought 30 mini-skeins and cast on right then and there. I picked up a few mini-skeins to mix in with my leftover sock yarn. However, I'm not going to cast on until I finish the Favourite Things Cowl, which is similar but in worsted weight.



I had planned to interview Jeannette, but she was busy every minute. I hope that means she had a profitable weekend because she sure planned a wonderful retreat for the rest of us.

13 comments:

  1. OK. You did it. I've been eyeing that cowl, too....but I have so many cowls already, and several (more than several) I consider my favorite knits EvER!....Do I need another? SURE DO!!! Shall we have a mini knitalong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like SUCH a fun time!!!!!!! Oh my goodness! And a wall of yarn--I'm drooling from here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WELL I GET IT!! How fun. Im looking up your yarn ball thingy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've looked up the Yarn Buddy and made a plan to fabricate one for myself. I just got a swift a few weeks ago, so I too am hooked on caking yarn!

    That leftovers cowl looks awesome, but oh how many ends there would be! I think I'll watch from the sidelines!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a really fun way to spend the day! Glad you were able to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Yarn Buddy looks like a pretty neat tool! :-)

    Glad you had a good day of knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A day solely dedicated to knitting, talking about knitting, looking at knitting, is my kind of day! Glad you had a good time

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great day! And that lovely wall of yarn . . . oh my.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Guys don't get it, I would love a day to sit and knit with other friendly knitters. Looks like a perfect place to get inspiration.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  10. A whole day of knitting sounds perfect to me! that cowl is so pretty too..pretty and tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry you didn't get the additional day off to enjoy, but it looks like a lovely time regardless. The wall of yarn is ... well, awesome!

    Yes, the all I'm going to do is knit today thing is really hard to translate for the menfolk in my household. It sounds like pure bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like an amazing time. I love days where there is no agenda, you just knit! :)

    ReplyDelete