Wednesday, May 29, 2013

WIP Wednesday

I learned a lot this past weekend: Traveling in a wheelchair is much harder than it looks! I'm glad I flew out to Washington, D.C., because seeing my niece's Bat Mitzvah was pure joy.

So what did I learn? First and foremost, just because a place meets the requirements of the law, doesn't mean it is easy to get around in a wheelchair. Case in point: the Metro. I love the Metro; who doesn't? Technically, it is handicapped accessible. However, you could spend much of your life looking for the necessary elevators.

Second lesson: When you are in a wheelchair, people simply don't see you. I don't know if it's because you are lower in space than they are or that wheelchairs make people uncomfortable. At any rate, I am determined to be more considerate to people in wheelchairs.

As a special ed teacher, I certainly have read about what life is like for people in wheelchairs. It sure is different, though, to live it.

On the upside, my family was wonderful in pushing me around and making it possible for me to be there at all. My brothers, my daughter, my son, my cousins. They were all incredibly patient and considerate. I am very lucky!

And the sock in the photo? It was my traveling project: Froot Loop, a top-down sock available for free from Knitty. I highly recommend this pattern. It's easy to memorize, but clever enough not to be boring. The yarn is something unlabeled from my stash. I'm pretty sure it is Dream in Color Baby. It's supposed to be a lace-weight, but is working well for the socks. If they come out small, I'll gift them to a smaller person!

2 comments:

  1. I think places that are constructed with accessibility in mind from the word go are more easily navigated than places that are "retro-fitted" but no matter how you cut it, a wheelchair is hard. You've gained some really invaluable insights. We'd all do better to be more considerate!

    Glad you enjoyed your trip. I love the Froot Loop pattern - that was one of the patterns that first attracted me to sock knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I'm just catching up on the broken leg news. Yeah, Metro can be very slow and those elevators hide, I swear. Glad you have your phone to keep you company (my iPod saved me when I got the chicken pox!). And the sock looks great!

    ReplyDelete