Monday, May 6, 2013

At Least I Can Read

As the pain from the broken leg and subsequent surgery wears off, I've become aware of how much this is going to impact my life. I won't be walking normally for  three months. It's just as well that I don't run anymore because that would take at least 6 months of healing!

I'm trying to focus on the few perks of being laid off. At least I'm a person who has a lot of hobbies that can be done while I'm sitting and propping up my leg. Like reading. I already have one book to recommend:

I realize there's an irony in my reading this book at this time; however, I had started reading before my fall. Anyway, T.C. Boyle is not capable of bad writing. This gracefully written book fictionalizes the story of John Kellogg, founder of the cereal empire. The story is told from a variety of viewpoints, all of which coalesce nicely by the end of the book.

In addition to be a very good read, Boyle teases out the universal truths in the human desire for a formula for health. Although the novel is set in the early 20th century, it rings very true today.

2 comments:

  1. Deborah, I'm so sorry that I've been in my own cocoon for so long and haven't been visiting my favorite blogs. A broken leg? I am so sorry that you are going through this. Do you need anything? Needles, yarn, buttons? I'm gonna get a little surprise off to you first thing in the morning, ok? Just get lots of rest and enjoy this time to read and knit. You are in my thoughts. Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OHM, I can;t imagine the pain of a broken leg... honestly. You are a trooper!

    ReplyDelete