Saturday, May 4, 2013

Really? Really??

Did I really get this far on the second sock (on the left) without noticing the pattern was significantly different from the first sock? Apparently I did.

The pattern is Rib Fantastic from the book Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn by Barb Brown. I started these on January 1, 2011! Clearly I have had my struggles -- largely with the yarn, which is Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks that Rock Medium-Weight. It's my first -- and only -- experience with BMFA, and I was put off by how thick the medium-weight is. Because I bought them on a Rav destash, I wasn't able to touch it until it arrived.

The yarn is amazingly soft and smooth, so I went ahead and began knitting. Got through sock number 1 and then the project went into deep hibernation. I pulled it out earlier this year when I decided to devote some knitting time to UFOs. Since it was the middle of the winter, I realized that thicker socks would be nice and cozy in my boots.

I knit along happily on sock number 2 until I pulled out its mate to make sure I was starting the heel flap at the same place. Well, length turned out to be the least of my problems. As you can see, I read the pattern differently for each sock. In disgust, I put the project back into hibernation.

However, being laid up these last 10 days, I decided to finish the pair. Really, who cares if the legs don't match? In fact, inside boots or jeans, no one will even see the legs!

4 comments:

  1. It doesn't really matter..they look nice..just finish them up and blame it on all the drugs from the surgery..

    ReplyDelete
  2. STR Mediumweight is one of my favorite sock yarns, I love how thick it is! And, for what it's worth, I kind of like the zigzag look on the left, I say finishing them up is the right choice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with nauget bluff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yes keep them going. I've had unmatched socks. In the end, once the photos are taken in which you say 'oh look they're mismatched!' you move on and wear them. I do anyway. The medium weight is heavier isn't it? I've got some I've been meaning to use and now that it's winter, I think it's time.

    ReplyDelete