Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Some Copenhagen Highlights

I truly do love Copenhagen: the buildings, the people, the food. While it lacks the drama of Paris or London or New York, it is the perfect place to relax and enjoy Scandinavian ambience. I could prattle on and on about all the lovely things there, but I'll restrain myself and share a few highlights:
This is Nyhavn, the picture-perfect canal that is probably the most famous scene from Copenhagen. It was our first stop. A native we met at the airport had suggested a canal tour as the perfect activity for our first, jet-lagged day. After the tour, we settled down at a canal-side restaurant and enjoyed smorrebrod (the ubiquitous open-faced sandwiches) along with the view.
We walked the Botanical Gardens and the flower gardens at the Rosenborg Castle.
Copenhagen has a number of great museums, including the state art museum (SMK) and the Design Museum, where I snapped this photo of a chair made from newspapers.
Walking home one evening, I was scooped up by two "vikings," who carried me to a  place where pretty young women were waiting with alcoholic beverages.  A vendor told me this is a ritual of the police in training.
Copenhagen's old city (Indre By) is infinitely charming. The Round Tower is the oldest functioning observatory in Europe -- and very pretty, too.

Good food is everywhere in Copenhagen, and, yes, it is pricey. But you can always find a stand selling the inexpensive hot dogs that the Danish love.
Grod, one of my favorite Copenhagen restaurants, features porridge. Yes, porridge. They turn humble grains into gourmet treats. On this visit, I ordered a Chia Seed Parfait.
Here are two things you find everywhere in Copenhagen: Beautiful brick buildings and bicycles:
We went on a wonderful tour by one of the original inhabitants of Christiania, the hippie/artists community founded on an abandoned military base in 1971. You can still buy marijuana or hash on Pusher Street, but the community banned hard drugs a long time ago. As the city grew, this site became prime real estate, so a few years ago, the residents bought the land from the city so they could maintain this "Freetown," as they call it.  Now they pay taxes, which is against their principles, but a better alternative than being kicked out.
There is art everywhere you look. Each building or house is unique and original.
Although tourism has become a large part of the income in Christiana, there are some factories there, including two bike manufacturers. The bike above is one of the types made right there.

Last, but not least, I had a great time traveling with my friends Percy and Lisa.
While I flew back to the States yesterday, they were off to Scotland. When they get back, we'll have to sit down for some smorrebrod!

10 comments:

  1. I want to go!!! It all looks so lovely. Gorgeous buildings, fun art, great food! Even being scooped up by Vikings - lol. Glad you had such a nice time. Thanks for sharing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to go too!! It looks like heaven. I could sit and knit on one of those streets for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, it sounds and looks divine! I love that you were literally swept off of your feet in Copenhagen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seriously could do without the drama of London or Paris. Copenhagen sounds just about perfect. And just think......plenty of wool-wearing weather! LOL

    Thank you so much for sharing the photos. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy you shared these quaint lovely images with us!!!!! Looks like it was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful!!! Thank you for sharing, looks like beautiful weather and a fun time. I bet you are exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic photos! Thank you for sharing! What glorious weather you had!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an interesting location for the observatory! I'm glad you had a good adventure, and shared your photos and impressions. Are you going to paint a picture of the bikes and bricks with reflections in the windows?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks wonderful! And it looks like you're enjoying beautiful weather too! Nice for walking about and touring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your trip sounds amazing. I am so glad you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete