Saturday, June 24, 2017

Sketching in Copenhagen

One of the highlights of my trip to Copenhagen was meeting up with Urban Sketchers Copenhagen. Urban Sketchers is an international group, and I was lucky that the Copenhagen group was meeting to sketch the weekend I was there.

I had to figure out the bus system to get to this 1913 church that is outside the usual tourist area, and it was totally worth it.
It's not that my sketch is so special, but it was really fun meeting the Danish sketchers. They were all professional artists, so it was a bit intimidating. After drawing, we went out for a beer and talked. They are very well informed about American politics and worry about Europe going the same way we are. It was fascinating to hear their views.
Copenhagen is a charming and diverse city  -- perfect for drawing. This sketch is from Christiania, the hippie/artist community that was started in 1971. As you can see, it has not lost its anarchic look.
The Danish Design Museum is fascinating. My parents' house was largely filled with Danish furniture, so it was really interesting to learn more about it. It's still my favorite style.

As nice as it would be to have a spread like this for every day, it isn't going to happen. I am a very slow sketcher, so this took FOREVER!

Well, that's it for Copenhagen. I promise to get back to knitting in the next post!

10 comments:

  1. You are an AMAZING sketcher! Love looking at your sketches just as much as the knitting and stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe....your sketches are spectacular!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like others, I love seeing your sketches. So cool that you met up with a group to sketch one day - aND what a fabulous setting! Your book of sketches is wonderful. What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhhh....to have a journal page look like that. even one!!! totally awesome. and your 'sketching' to me is more a work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But Deb your sketching is amazing! I love the look of your whimsical drawings. There is a quaint peacefulness to it. You will always have the sketches as a memory of the incredible trip! Enjoyed the tour with you immensely

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOur sketching is amazing and so is your printing, what a wonderful souvenir.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In my estimation you are a gifted artist...in many mediums! Thank you so much for sharing your sketches and other works of art in your blog. I admire your work and am inspired by it to continue to try to express my artistic interests. 🎨🤗😘

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fascinating sketches and a fabulous way to record your trip. Your work is captivating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. um, you're just as good as the professionals if you ask me, how very brave of you to go out in the city and be interacting! I don't know if I could do that. My husband figures out how to navigate everywhere we go.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your work! It is coming to me inch by inch! I find this kind of journal ling fascinating! I want to make a garden sketch journal like this!

    ReplyDelete