Wednesday, June 21, 2017

I Swore I Wouldn't Buy Yarn

In fact, I walked past two yarn stores in my first few days in Copenhagen and didn't even consider going inside.

But then one day I went to what turned out the be the worst, most depressing flea market ever. Used shoes and clothes, mostly.  At one point, I glanced across the street and saw this:
It was just such a cheerful sight that I had to go in. And the inside could not have been more cozy or inviting:
The store mostly carried Drops, a brand I've heard of but never encountered. As far as I can tell, it isn't widely available in the United States. Well, it is beautiful, affordable stuff. I spent way too much time fondling all the various blends.  And we all know where that leads!
Yes, I bought a couple skeins. These two beauties, which will likely become a pair of fingerless mitts some day, cost less than $10. No kidding. On the off chance that I ever run out of yarn, I'll be looking for more Drops.

The store was different from the stores I'm used to here. For one thing, there were tons of sweater-quantity bags ready to be bought. Also, there were very few needles for sale and no accessories, like stitch markers. Maybe Danes are minimalists in their knitting, too!

There was more unknitting than knitting in Copenhagen. Here is the beginning of an Almondine Sock.  I was halfway through the heel flap when I realized I had misread the directions and had not divided the stitches correctly for the heel. I frogged the flap and tried to pick up the stitches. Too many dropped stitches! I went all the way back and cast on again.
Not surprisingly, I'm reading The Year of Living Danishly by Helen Russell, a Londoner who moved to Denmark when her husband got a job at Lego. Russell is a journalist and an excellent writer. The book is both amusing and interesting.

I just have to point out that Lego is far from Copenhagen, so I may have to write the Copenhagen version of this book some day!

16 comments:

  1. Oh that shop looks so inviting!! Nordic Mart (CA) carries Drops...just in case...

    Sorry about the sock ripping. That looks like a gorgeous pattern.

    I started The Year of Living Danishly and liked the first few chapters, but got tired of it quickly. I'll finish it, but I'm finding it hard to read more than a couple of pages at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fairly sure that yarn bought while on vacation doesn't count. Everyone needs a souvenir! Your Almondine is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen Drops in several stores, but I don't think it is widely sold. When I was in Norway, I couldn't escape the yarn...they sold it in the grocery stores!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cotton merino? Please tell us how it knits when you finish the mitts. I've seen Drops' patterns but never the yarn.

    Copenhagen blue for a pair of socks - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The yarn is lovely! And, I LOVED the Year of Living Danishly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow!!!! That shop is to die for. I would go crazy in there. I love Drops patterns and to be able to get my hands on that yarn.....sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. DROPS also has about a million free patterns on Ravelry.

    You'll have to let me know how you like the Year of Living Danishly. I read it awhile back. I liked the beginning, but lost interest toward the end and actually didn't finish it. I rarely don't finish a book.

    That yarn store looks wonderful. I can see why you were tempted. You know yarn bought abroad really doesn't count as stash. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely yarn you purchased as a souvenir. I justified such a purchase on a cross country trip a few years ago because the yarn was easily stuffed in my suitcase, [and I am happy to report I used the yarn not long after getting home :) ] Yay for your progress on the pretty blue sock!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun to find wonderful yarn on your trip. Im thrilled for u. Yeah for vacation

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that shop looks fabulous. I don't think I've ever been face to face with Drops yarn although I'm familiar with their patterns through Ravelry. Thanks also for the book tip - I'm gonna go look it up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a pretty sock. So sorry you had to start it over. I've added The Year of Living Danishly to my book que, which is almost as bad as my Ravelry que. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That yarn shop is inviting! So lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. of course you should buy yarn!!! you're on vacation. I cannot imagine have a sweater's worth of yarn at the ready to be bought. I have to scrounge around for matching dye lot skeins.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Vacation yarn does not count towards stash, it is a souvenir! Love the color, I bought some gray today myself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely shop, perfect for lifting the mood!

    ReplyDelete
  16. of course you had to buy souvenir yarn in Copenhagen!!!! I don't think I've ever had any Drops yarn, but I love their patterns and have knit several. what a grand adventure you are having!!!

    ReplyDelete