Sunday, November 1, 2015

I Missed You Dear Digital Friends

It's been about 10 days since I last blogged, a long time for me, and I have missed you all! I promise to get caught up in my blog reading in the next few days. I should have time as I have been laid low by a sinus infection. I'm planning to work all week, but no 10- or 12-hour days!

I can't seem to keep up with the paperwork at school, so that is one reason I've had a hard time finding time to blog. But there have also been some more exciting things going on. For one, I'm part of a year-long project called the Jewish Artists' Lab, and we had a retreat in Milwaukee, which included a visit to the Milwaukee Art Museum. It's such a great building:
There were 65 artists from Madison, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Chicago, and Kansas City. Everyone was friendly and interesting and our schedule was jam-packed. Another place we visited was a new synagogue that's at the very edges of the metropolitan area, which is where I took this beautiful fall photo:

I'm still waiting to get some photos of the group, but at this point I don't have any people photos to share. There were tons of talented people and I felt very humbled to be part of the group.

There was a fun Halloween party on Friday night thrown by the parents of this little beauty:
That is the elegant Ma'ayan, tolerating her dinosaur hat for a few moments as she contemplates my friend Mimi. We had appetizers and desserts and watched "Inside Out." There is something so amazing about going to a party thrown by Ilana (baby's mom) who is the same age as my son! I met Ilana's moms in Lamaze birthing classes so I've watched her grow up.

For Halloween, Keith and I went out to see the movie, "Bridge of Spies," which is good. The recreation of post-WWII East Berlin is amazing. Although the story is predictable, the twists and turns kept us interested. My daughter had a much more exciting evening. She sent this photo:
If you can't tell, the leggings are green and scaly. Her favorite Disney princess has always been Ariel from "The Little Mermaid." As a feminist, I've always been appalled. Did she really have to pick the princess who gave up her voice for a man? There's no accounting for taste! Fortunately she is pretty feminist herself, so I got a kick out of the costume.

I've been doing nothing but garter and stockinette stitching. Thank goodness for Sunday night on PBS!
I was hoping to get the Green Bay Packer socks done by Hanukkah for my brother, but this is how far I am on the first sock. I was done with the leg a few weeks ago, but then I noticed that I had dropped a stitch up near the cuff, so I picked it up for a lot of rows and found out that is not a good idea. It made for a funny-looking, tight line of stitches. I ripped most of the leg out and started again.

So, that's where I've been. Can't wait to catch up with the rest of you!

12 comments:

  1. Busy, busy, busy-but lots of good times I see.
    Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you well! Your retreat in Milwaukee sounded so interesting! I admire how far you have come with the sock....I have had a children's sock on circular needles for several years in a time out basket. I am cheering on your efforts :) Thanks for your encouragement about my collage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your retreat sounds like a wonderful experience. I've never been to Milwaukee, but have heard great things about their museum from my Dad who has been many times. Your daughters costume is cute, but all I can think of is she's gonna be cold!! Even inside I'm all about the sweaters this time of year. Good luck on finishing the socks! Hopefully your brother doesn't have big feet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, congratulations on your inclusion with the Jewish Artists' Lab, that sounds amazing! Gorgeous photos! Daughters are so funny, aren't they? I'm betting she was an ironic Ariel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. FUn catch up. Beautiful fall image. Love your daughter! Mine always loved MULAN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you are feeling better soon.

    Your daughter makes an adorable Ariel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've been very busy! Hope you're feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a feminist, but I'm with your daughter on Ariel. She's my favorite as well. So I give her scales a high five. hehe. The GB Packers socks are fantastic! I hope you are on the track to feeling better. Don't run yourself down with all you've got going on! Please! paperwork is bringing me to tears right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you sure have been busy! And you visited my home town. Hope you feel lots better by now, and that you can take time to smell the roses or at least enjoy the fall leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, just discovered your blog. What a beautiful autumnal photo, the colours of the leaves are glorious. Like the colours on the sock you are knitting up. Leah xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. so so good to hear from you and it sounds like you are busy with work but busy with creative artists, that is so cool!! I hope to hear more :) Your daughter is beautiful and I'm glad she clings to her feminism while giving up a pretend voice to a man (awesome costume!!).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Busy, busy! I love the Art Museum's Calatrava addition -- such a wonderful addition to the city. My mother-in-law volunteers there and they really do have great special exhibits.

    ReplyDelete