Wednesday, October 21, 2015

If You Can't Live By the Sea ...

One of joys of blogging is seeing other bloggers' photos of their trips to the ocean. I love the ocean, the waves crashing on the sand, the whitecaps racing to the shore, the shifting colors. But Wisconsin is a long way from anything that could be called a "sea."

I think that sometimes I am subconsciously drawn to things that have echos of the ocean, like the yarn I chose for this Shredded Cowl.
I LOVE this color, but as I near the end, I'm wondering what I think I'm going to wear it with. I tend more toward black/grays than blues. But I'm going to have to find something to wear this with. I want to keep it.

And this novel is all about the mysteries of the ocean.
I have laughed out loud many times at the wit of the narrator, a smart but snarky MBA type from California whose honeymoon in the Carribean takes a number of unexpected turns. Now, I need to say that I don't like magical realism, and despite the presence of mermaids, this novel stays largely out of that territory. The mer-plot is handled deftly and does not require too much suspension of disbelief.

Don't forget to see what everyone else is crafting and reading over at Small Things' Yarn Along.

12 comments:

  1. I'm the opposite, I need more blacks and grays in my wardrobe, for I have way too much blue. I am in love with that cowl, no wonder you want to keep it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your shawl is a beautiful blue! Love the look of the dropped stitches. It reminds me of a "rough" sea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the ocean too! Your cowl is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the color of your knitting and yes. I live by the ocean but I don't visit it nearly enough. Your nostalgia reminds me it's time for a visit. I really love how you push yourself in your reading, I mean outside your normal genres or favorites rather. You give things an honest go. You're so open-minded in practice. It's enviable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cowl is gorgeous, the colour is fabulous. The stitches remind me of the sea as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are definitely looking to the sea this week. I love the color of your knitting and the shredded design is really interesting. I hope you're having a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live right here on the coast and have not dipped my toes in the ocean in five years. Shameful. Every time I plan a trip something nasty pops up and ruins my fun. I am actually supposed to be there this week to get my salt water taffy fix but nooooo....
    Love the cowl. That color blue couldn't be more perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm drawn to ocean blues all the time!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my favorite colors! I think it would look great with grey!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a lot of black and grays in my winter wardrobe, and (from the picture) I'd wear that cowl with those colors. It's beautiful. And I love that it makes you think of the ocean. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous color of yarn you are using. It reminds me of the Caribbean. Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful yarn and I think it would coordinate fine with black and greys. We all could use a little more color in our lives I think as the days turn shorter and darker.

    ReplyDelete