Sunday, November 15, 2015

A Weekend of Gifts

Gifts come in all sorts of forms, don't they? I spent a lot of time organized and wrapping gifts for the upcoming holiday season this weekend. Hanukkah is frightfully early this year, so I focused on them. It doesn't help that my brothers, some of their children, and my own children all have birthdays in November and December.

I am still making gifts, of course! I can't imagine having everything ready to wrap by mid-November. I suppose someone out there has everything under control by now, but that will never be me! One of the projects I've been working on are these button-covered Altoid tins. I think they are perfect for giving gift cards or money. I have quite a few giftees in their teens and 20s, so I'll be putting these to good use.


I'm not sure I can get the Green Bay Packer socks done in time for Hanukkah. My brother will be at my house for almost a full week for Thanksgiving, so that is a whole week I can't work on them. I'm going to have to see how much I can get done this week. There is a chance that these will be gifts for 2016.
I also received a few gifts this weekend. I went to a holiday art show with my mom and her sister, who is visiting from Seattle and my mom bought me this beautiful yarn bowl:

And I had the pleasure of spending time with my Aunt Natalie. On Saturday night, we all went out to dinner -- and my son took time out of his busy studies to join us. This evening, my aunt came to our house for dinner and I tried a new recipe for Butternut Squash Soup, which turned out to be fabulous.
The weather was mild; I make jewelry with my friend Tsela; and did some meal-planning for Thanksgiving. All in all, it was a lovely weekend.

How was yours?



13 comments:

  1. Your soup looks really yummy! We had a quiet weekend and are watching the football game (scary!) It seems like there's never enough time to finish all you want to make for the holidays, doesn't it? Then someone speeds up the clock on top of it all.... You need to come visit your mom's sister!!!! (It doesn't rain all the time......)

    ReplyDelete
  2. no kidding....sterling weekend, I'd say!! Love the yarn bowl....and you have holiday things WRAPPED????!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those button tins are just brilliant and that yarn bowl...so gorgeous! I have always wanted to try squash soup. It looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were at the same art show and I admired those yarn bowls! Lucky you to get one. We also went to the Whada ya know show . Fun weekend with our son and his wife in your town.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That yarn bowl is gorgeous!

    For me, the first two weeks of November are the busiest - including Gavin's Bday, three grandkid's Bdays, my best friend's Bday, was my Mom's Bday - but I've made it to the other side and now I can coast to Christmas. Our Thanksgiving was weeks ago so that's over and done too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a great weekend!

    I LOVE the wrapping paper - it's so happy and festive. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your yarn bowl is just beautiful, what a lovely gift. I love the altoid tins! What a cute gift idea. My daughter would like to have one of those. I hope you have a good week, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your new yarn bowl is just lovely! :-) Glad you had such a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Hanukkah is so early this year .I like when Christmas and Hannukkah intersect. Tis a season tho! I love the button tins!!! Such a clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW, I’m not even thinking about gift giving yet. squash soup looks wonderful, care to share the recipe? The yarn bowl is very beautiful, what a lovely gift!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, you have so many gifts! I only have one this year...so far. But I guess if it keeps you busy that's the best thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have been so busy! I love the yarn bowl and the fun photo of your daughter as Ariel, I am quite the feminist so I understand what you are saying, but it is okay to have fun every once in a while just to have fun. I have missed visiting with you.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've got a lot of gifts going on there, but you are on top of it! I love the button tins for gift cards and money, an excellent idea!

    ReplyDelete