Friday, November 20, 2015

When Better to Learn to Crochet?

Well, I'm off work today, but not in a happy way (despite the rhyming cadence of that sentence!). Injured by a student for the second time in two weeks. The good news is that neither student intended to hurt me. But this second incident reinjured my neck and back -- just when they were starting to heal!

On the up side, I now have an excuse for hosting Thankgiving weekend in a messy house!

Knitting in bed is one of the things I can do without increasing the pain, so I decided that crochet would probably work, too. And it does. Between this book and YouTube, I was able to figure out the basics. But, as you can see, the scarf is not in progress. I realized a couple inches into it that I had the wrong-sized hook. No wonder the scarf looked so narrow.

Hopefully my house-husband will have time to pick up a larger hook today.

10 comments:

  1. It took me a while to warm up to crochet but I can now say I enjoy picking it up from time to time as a change.
    I hope you feel better soon. A weekend in bed with the needles (or hooks) sounds like heaven to me but then I'm not in any pain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knitting is my first love, but crochet has become a close second. I think it is a fun way to play with yarn. I think somethings look better knitted and some crocheted, it just varies per project. I am so, so sorry you were injured, teaching can be a very dangerous profession, OT can too with a aggressive autistic child. I once worked with a five year old who broke my nose by head banging me!
    Rest, rest, rest.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear of another student-inflicted injury! Hope you heal thoroughly this time. Take care and rest with a little knitting/crochet to keep you from going stir-crazy! Hugs, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry that you are in pain. Hopefully, you will be on the mend quickly.

    Looks like you are putting the down-time to good use though. :-) Hugs --- gentle ones --- to you and hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry you were hurt at work again. I wish you a speedy recovery and lots of happy hooking and stitching.

    I know you know it, but I have to say a teacher's work is admirable enough as it is, and the work you do is very special and important. The world is a better place for your own kindness. Sorry you were hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOPS. SO sorry you got hurt again! oh dear. Crochet? You will love it for borders on your knitting projects. Good for you you life long learner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sorry about the new injury.....hope you are healing by now (I'm a little late in catching up in the blog-world!)
    I'm just a wee bit concerned, though, that your injuries have now turned you to the 'dark side'. Remember, we all lapse occasionally, but we are KNITTERS, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. are you a phys ed teacher? My you are having quite the school year, I bet you are the talk in the halls. Seriously though I hope you heal fast and this is the end the really real end of it all. Stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you feel better now! I adore crochet, I actually think it is even more relaxing than knitting - just one crochet hook and no clipped stitches! As for me I always save weekends for learning something new.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH no, so sorry. A coworker was injured by a student at my school last week too, also unintentionally, but hurt is hurt. Heal soon!

    ReplyDelete