Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Vacation Knitting and Reading

I woke up to something shocking in Berkeley, California. I looked out the window and there was no fog! You cannot miss the effects of the drought here, although I do, strangely miss the morning fog.

I've been visiting Berkeley since 1977, when my friend Joni moved from the Chicago area to Berkeley, so it feels like my vacation home. I am used to gazing through the fog while I drink my morning coffee.

I had a long day of travel so I knew I needed good knitting. I chose to knit plain socks with this amazing yarn from Knit Circus, which is a Madison dyer.
Some of you may have seen the Knit Circus magazine or its later incarnation as a Web-zine. Former KC editor Jaala Spiro has taken up dying and she is truly amazing! Her self-striping and gradient yarns are beautiful and unique (as you can see). You can learn more here.http://www.knitcircus.com/

And this is the book took for my travel reading. I found it at Politics and Prose in Washington, D.C., earlier this summer. It is about a Jewish woman who is orphaned during the Holocaust and raised in the Satmar tradition, which is a very strict Hasidic sect.
It turned out to be a good choice. I read about half of it on the plane yesterday. The writing is beautiful, and the story keeps you  interested. It explores the role of women and of orthodox religion and how the two can become complicated. It is also a fascinating glimpse into life inside this very strict group.

Coming soon: Pictures of a very pretty sock-in-progess and the Bay Area.

I'm checking in with Keep Calm Craft On and Yarn Along.

12 comments:

  1. Pretty yarn and a good book recommendation. Thanks for both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. Self striping rainbow yarn. Absolutely perfect for a vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a fascinating book. Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oohh that yarn looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That book sounds very interesting. I'll have to see if our local indie bookstore has it. I love the Chaim Potok books and this sounds similar.

    Happy knitting with your very happy colored yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh such lovely yarn! That was a dangerous click! Wishing you a wonderful visit (from across the bay!) Happy knitting and reading with your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy your vacation. You do get around! Both sides of the map in one summer. It's very dry here in the PNW, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. have fun on vacation :) Lovely yarn and what an interesting book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll have to check that book out!!! Safe travels

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your book choice looks very interesting and that yarn is gorgeous. I hope you have fog with your morning coffee while on your trip.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read that book and found it very interesting! Sometimes hard to relate to the main character, but fascinating. I picked up a couple skeins of Knit Circus DK-weight gradient yarn at Chicago's YarnCon -- it's gorgeous, but I'm not quite sure what to do with it, as the yardage isn't super generous (just shy of 300 yds).

    ReplyDelete