Tuesday, July 28, 2015

It's All About the Socks

I hope I'm not boring anyone with socks. I have this crazy idea of trying to knit socks for all the men in my family. The problem is that I find men's socks, well, dull. The men in my family are pretty conservative when it comes to clothing, so I'm trying to accommodate:
These are lovely socks. The blues and grays are lovely. And I can't say enough about the pattern: Blueberry Waffle Socks. I'm sure I'll use it again -- hopefully on more exciting colors. Still,  I'd rather be knitting bright colors or lace socks!

As for reading, it's kind of embarrassing. I'm reading the book that everyone seems to be raving about: All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr but I'm not in love with it, at least not as of page 165. It tells the fictional story of a blind girl and a Nazi intelligence officer who end up in the same small town in France during World War II. I'm hoping that I'll fall in love any page now.

However, I haven't been reading or knitting as much as I'd like because I've been working. And, no, teachers don't get paid to work in the summer. It's just that the workload has grown so much that I feel like I'll be better off for getting a head start. Besides, working at home with classical music on isn't that bad!

I'm joining Nicole for Keep Calm Craft On. and Ginny for Yarn Along.

18 comments:

  1. You could NEVER bore me with socks. Blueberry waffle makes a great Man sock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really IS all about socks ... for me anyway. I'm going to have to add Blueberry Waffle to my queue; it looks like a good pattern choice for my monthly charity socks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love socks, any socks! And I love blues and greys. So I think they look lovely. I have that book on my list (a really long, ever-growing list!) as well, as it has turned up in Yarn Along so much. I will get to it, one day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have your blueberry waffles on my "to do" list! They are lovely and I never tire of socks. I think it's a great idea to knit all the men socks if it makes you happy. Ha, I don't even care if they want them, if you think it will bring you joy, why the heck not? A little homemade sock never hurt anyone. As for work, if you've got a chance to get ahead of the game and you're inclined, do it. For me at least, those moments aren't as frequent as I wish they were.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great socks! I loved Doerr's Four Seasons in Rome. DD had the same reaction to the one you are reading but loved it by the end; it's on my shelf also. Right now I'm reading Sycamore Row. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your socks and the way the pattern and yarn are working together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is why I haven't become a teacher.... yet
    Love the socks, sometimes we all need a little muted color in our lives. But I bet you can't wait for something bright !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the man socks. My men are very picky and want dark colors.....and that's hard on my eyes. My irisheyes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never get tired of seeing the socks everyone is working on. How many more pairs to go?

    ReplyDelete
  11. i've knit that blueberry waffle pattern and agree it's a goodie!!! I've been 'listening' to that same book and stop and read something else---then have to start all over. I'm not in to it either....yet everyone keeps saying it's a must read. I'll get back to it. Good luck with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. those socks look wonderful! I've never heard of that book, shame you haven't fallen for it it sounds promising, though at 165pages if I were struggling I think I'd move on to something more :) sorry you have to work over summer! but a head start will help the load later I'm sure :) jenny xx
    www.prettycolumn.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely socks and I want to read that book one day...I thank you for your teaching service and all the work you do during your time off :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Socks are never ever boring! I got to the point where I couldn't shut my drawer and then I needed to have a pause but I still love knitting them - and even the more muted colours are fun with a good pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw that sock and couldn't believe I recognized the pattern! Blueberry yarn for Blueberry socks, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Socks are always great and these are gorgeous, there is no need to apologise. Good on you for getting a headstart for the new term. Things are crazy here at the start of term, workload wise, but I resolutely refuse to give up my time with my boys at the moment, maybe in a couple of years!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great work ! are you bored with white and black socks. go to sockodelik.com & choose your fav socks with amazing offer visit - http://www.sockodelik.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good news book lovers, All the Light We Cannot See: A Novel Audio-book is available on AudioBooksNow.

    ReplyDelete