Sunday, July 12, 2015

Stitching of a Different Kind

I took a class Saturday at Bare Knuckle Arts, the studio run by a former colleague. It is the third class I've taken there, and they have all been fabulous.

I have wanted to learn how to do Coptic book binding for ages. I've tried to teach myself from books, but I just couldn't figure it out. The name comes from the fact that this type of binding was used by Coptic Christians in Egypt as far back as the second century AD.

Our teacher, Kerri Cushman, who hails all the way from Virginia, had the covers premade for us so we could dive right into the binding process. She made the whole process easy as pie. My first attempt is downright presentable.
Isn't this cool?

Most of the work is in the set up: making the covers and the inside pages, and poking all the holes (and making sure they line up). Once you start the Coptic binding, you can relax and enjoy it. You just fall into a rhythm -- but don't fall too hard or you'll make mistakes. (As me how I know!)

The last thing I need is one more craft, but as an inveterate writing and sketcher, I'm telling myself that bookbinding isn't really a NEW craft, but rather an expansion upon the ones I already do.

I wanted to make more books as soon as I got home, but I've stuck to my schedule of cleaning up my craft room and organizing photos. My parents passed along a ton of photos in May, and I am happy to say that they are now all organized by date in photo boxes. Not a very exciting Sunday but a pretty productive one.

I hope your weekend was good.

13 comments:

  1. It looks great! I would love a planner or home management binder done like that. The cover is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work. I expect punching all the holes is pretty tedious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excelent! I'd love to be able to make my own bound books for art journals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks perfect to me, now what will you write in that awesome hand made book ??

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great new craft to learn - pretty handy too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for you and your bucket list cross off!
    I plan to put all our photos on a dvd this fall when the weather turns

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was afraid you had hurt yourself and needed stitches when I saw your title! Glad it was book binding!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work on what sounds like a very useful craft!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I fell in love with book binding this past March. I haven't done it recently, but I like to be able to take a full book, remove the cover and make a new book! It's so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous binding, I will have to look it up - and it sounds like a lovely Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's not just presentable, it is wonderful! Great job. I think for your existing hobbies and interests this would fall in line very well. I completely bless this next book binding adventure and enable you completely. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. IM having a contest today and I don't want you to miss out. head over for a chance to win the knit book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i have made one little tiny bound booklet....and I was hooked. Totally want this as a anew hobby....love your book!!!

    ReplyDelete