Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Gradients Like You've Never Seen

I'm into my last few days in Berkeley, and starting to feel sad about leaving. I am not sad about the knitting project I brought. My Knit Circus sock is so much fun to knit:
I've done quite a bit of reading. I finished I Am Forbidden, which I wrote about last week and found it interesting through the end. I also finished this:
This Dark Road to Mercy is a literary thriller and very gripping. It tells the story of a father, who has given up his legal rights to his two daughters, who kidnaps them after their mother dies. The story is told from multiple points of view and is very tightly plotted. I think it's quite good. I will caution that there are a few instances of disturbing violence. I kind of skimmed over them.

A few night ago, we went to hear Michael Pollan speak and I ended up buying Cooked, his latest book. He is best known for a book entitled The Omnivore's Dilemma, which takes a serious look at what he calls our "industrial food complex." He's a great speaker, relaxed and witty and erudite. And the bookstore was packed to the gills with fans; I would have had to wait for hours to get my book signed.

Cooked grew out of Pollan's realization that as Americans spend less time cooking, they have grown fatter and sicker. He points out that many people spend more time watching cooking TV shows than they do cooking, which is pretty strange when you think about it. It's kind of a long book, but he's a good writer so I'm hoping to get through it.

Linking up with Keep Calm Craft On and Yarn Along.

18 comments:

  1. Love your sock. The colors are terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colors of your socks are amazing! Love the stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the gradient!!! The book sounds good and I would love to hear him speak :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty socks! And I love Michael Pollan. The Botany of Desire was another great one of his, especially if you have any interest in plants or ecology.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think mY Allison would love COOKED

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sock is devine - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your sock! What a beautiful colorway!

    I like Michael Pollen and I think his premise is probably correct. I'll tell you, we eat out a LOT and while I don't watch much cooking on TV, I'm an absolute cooking magazine addict! I think he might be right on that topic too. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing sock!!!!!! Isn't that the truth about cooking shows, I feel that way about blogging and Pinterest too. I should get off of them and actually knit!
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the gradient socks. I listen to the knit circus podcast, they are so energetic and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the gradient socks. I listen to the knit circus podcast, they are so energetic and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the gradient socks. I listen to the knit circus podcast, they are so energetic and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love those socks! I recently read This Dark Road to Mercy and I enjoyed it also. I have recommended it to others. I'm in North Carolina and it was interesting to hear about their travels and know right where he was talking about. I think he has another and I'm on the look out for it.
    I'd love to hear Pollan speak, lucky you for being able to attend, and I am a big fan of his work too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love those socks! I recently read This Dark Road to Mercy and I enjoyed it also. I have recommended it to others. I'm in North Carolina and it was interesting to hear about their travels and know right where he was talking about. I think he has another and I'm on the look out for it.
    I'd love to hear Pollan speak, lucky you for being able to attend, and I am a big fan of his work too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I second Meredith's comments about Pintrest, fb etc. Great colours for your sock!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so envious of your beautiful knit circus socks and your vacation reading as well. Looking forward to your review of Cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your sock is fabulous! My husband knew the woman who started Knit Circus when they were in college at Madison. I love her yarns.

    ReplyDelete