Friday, July 10, 2015

Mistakes!

My Swirl Yoke Sweater was coming along so beautifully. I grafted the 7 underarm stitches without a hitch. Then I tried to close the "sloppy stitches" at either end of the grafted stitches. Even following Meg's directions, you can see how awkward my attempt is.
 Here it is in all its close-up ugliness.
Clearly this is something I need to work on. I think a big part of my problem is that I don't fully understand the way the stitches are supposed to come together. Some people learn to "read" their knitting faster than others, and I'm not one of the fast ones. Lucky me, I have a second arm to practice on.

And then I have another error to report. In her gracious way, Meg pointed out that in my journaling from camp, I mixed up SSK with CDD. Here is how she explained the latter to me:

The cdd (centered double-decread\se): slip 2 tog k'wise, k1, p2sso

Barbara Walker's original ssk: slip 1 k'wise, slip 1 k'wise, insert L needle and k2tog

Dee Barrington's variation of ssk: slip 1 k'wise, slip 1 p'wise, insert L needle and k2tog.
 
Hopefully you  can learn from my mistakes!

10 comments:

  1. Love the swirly neck of that sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think maybe the wonky parts could be blocked into their proper positioning?

    The sweater is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty sweater. I'm with you on not being quick to read my knitting. It's okay though, I think we both enjoy the knitting and the learning enough that we keep at it, and usually the understanding comes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sweater is gorgeous, and I too find it hard to read my knitting and grafting is a nightmare!! However, you have a second go and I'm sure blocking will make it all ok.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finally caught up with all your camp posts.....your journal was a total delight to read!!! (and so NEAT!) What a great experience....new skills, new friends. (are your reading----jealous here!!!!) :) So glad you had a great time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful sweater. Grafting is always a challenge for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are an amazing knitter. I love the sweater. You'll get it to the spot you want it. Its a learning curve right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Practice makes perfect right? :) It's under the arm so no one is going to notice it while you are wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely sweater and I think you did just fine with the underarm tightening. I still cannot believe you got to go that camp!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. For my rhombus socks I have to keep a cheat sheet to work the various increases and decreases correctly - it just takes time and practice. As for reading your knitting I found that picking up stitches, grafting and seaming really force you to get up close and personal with stitch structure. Do a lot of that and you'll be reading your knitting like an old pro!

    ReplyDelete