Sunday, May 17, 2015

Mother's Day: A Week Late

I'm going to try to post about embroidery (as well as knitting and whatever else) on Sundays, so I'm starting out with a couple photos of the shirt I embroidered for my Mom for Mother's Day:
The shirt, like most of the things I embroider, is from Goodwill, but the patterns are all my own. I used DMC Perle size 5 for the first time, and I liked it. It makes a nice bold image and the strands don't tangle. I just recently realized that the colors are numbered the same as the regular six-strand floss.
I liked this flower, which I put on the back. The spiderweb-stitch center really packs a punch.

I discourage Mother's Day gifts -- I'm trying to get rid of stuff, not add to it. But I did pick up a gift for myself:

This skein of Three Irish Girls yarn is destined to be a Pebble Beach Shawl, a pattern that was gifted to me by the amazing knitter-blogger Deb. Three Irish Girls yarns are squishy and richly colored, just wonderful to work with, and they are dyed right here in Wisconsin. They are actually dyed in Superior, Wis., which is something like a 6 hour drive, but still, they're Wisconsin girls!

9 comments:

  1. Your embroidery is exquisite. I hope you and your mom both had a very happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what special gifts!!! I'm sure mom loved the embroidery.....and that fuschia color!!!!! EEEEEEP! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like gifts I can use, like hand potions and lotions. I can consume them and then they don't exist anymore. Love love love the skein of yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That yarn is going to make one gorgeous shawl. Love the embroidery you did for your Mom, I would love a shirt with those motifs on it!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the color way you choose.
    Your stitch work on a denim shirt is just fantastic. I admire it! You could sell your stuff! Love the flowers you created

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful embroidery, looks so intricate and clever! The purple yarn is yummy too, I'm sure you'll enjoy knitting it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your embroidery is just lovely, such a great Mother's Day gift. The yarn color is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, brilliant embroidery! Must try it sometime - the yarn is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you gave yourself that beautiful gift of a skein. Your knitting is good for you.

    ReplyDelete