Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Some Things Just Take Time

I've been working on this sock forever. It's a Trellis, my own design, so you think I'd fly right through it, but that hasn't been the case. I love the way this pattern looks, but I find the stitches to be fairly slow.

I
I now have one green sock (destined to be a gift pair) and now a pink/red one for me. I think I'm going to knit the 2nd green one next, just for variety. The dark areas on the pink/red sock still bother me, but at least they aren't this dramatic in real life.

Just like these socks move along one stitch at a time, so go the days with my "loved one." Some are better than others, but most days are hard. I'm back to working contract hours at school, but I can't put in the extra hours I usually do so I'm worried about getting everything done on time!

I picked up this book because it sounded kind of fun, like it would be a good distraction. A couple bloggers mentioned that it was fun to pick out all the literary references -- and I'm a sucker for literary references. The story about a widowed bookstore owner and his daughter presents lots of opportunities to mention titles and characters -- and that is fun. However, the story is a bit formulaic for my taste, pretty predictable. If you like fun and frothy books, pick this one up. But if, like me, you like your books to have more substance, I'd say pass on this one.

I'm joining up with Nicole at Frontier Dreams.

14 comments:

  1. I really like it, the pattern and the dark parts! I love the idea of a green partner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a very lovely pattern, I'd say worth the time 😃

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a very lovely pattern, I'd say worth the time 😃

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the lace pattern you're using. Hope the second socks knit up quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trellis is BEAUTIFUL! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must send that book to AL!! Thanks! Hugs to you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your Trellis! It's such a pretty pattern, and I hope you will share it some time. I read and enjoyed that book last summer, I think, after hearing the author on NPR.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the sock - dark stripes and all :) Thanks for the book review - I think I'll give it a pass.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i like fluff every once in a while, and A. J. must have hit me just right, because I remember liking it!! I really like your socks!!! a green and a red one....could be a Christmas pair. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful sock! and I loved loved that book. It was one of the few times I thought they author could have fleshed out the chapters more. I usually think a novel needs to be thinned out :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just finished The Rosie Project, I know I am a little late to the party, it was cute, a lot of fluff but fun. Love the sock.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not really one for substance it seems as of late, I'll keep it on the list. I am alternating knitting on 2 pairs of socks too. I'm not quite as far along as you, but it definitely keeps me interested!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sock is fantastic! I have knit mittens before....but never socks! I want to give them a go sometime. I love that it is your own pattern too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not only does the sock looks gorgeous but looks like a good fitted sock.

    ReplyDelete