Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Finishing One Project; Starting Another

Well, I'm home taking care of someone I love today. Also taking care of myself, apparently. I drank my usual two cups of coffee this morning and fell right back to sleep!  Tomorrow will mark the one-month "anniversary" of this illness, and it's been a long month. I wish I could say that I'm an angel who tends to my loved one with infinite patience ... but I can't. I've had my moments of frustration and exhaustion. I guess all you can do is get up every morning and do your best.

But it continues to give me lots of time for knitting. I'm finishing up the cotton yarn I bought, making The Almost Lost Dishcloth, which was recently popularized by Mereknits. They are fun and fast knit. I'm planning on picking up some "gourmet" soaps to pair with the dishclothes as hostess gifts on my travels this summer.
I can't cast off without also casting on, so here is my third pair of Hermoine's Everyday Socks. This has become my go-to pattern for mindless socks. I love the way it spices up stripey yarns. I took it with me to the School Board meeting on Monday night, so they are a good two inches longer than in this picture, which I took on Sunday.

I went to the meeting because my district, like many others, is trying to reduce suspensions and expulsions. It's a worthy goal that I genuinely believe in, but the implementation is messy and many teachers feel the new plan has made behavior worse. Sigh. I guess that anything worth doing is challenging.

Don't forget to check and see what everyone else is up to with Nicole's Keep Calm and Craft On and Ginny's Yarn Along.

16 comments:

  1. Oh i love that dishcloth pattern. I will check on Ginny's yarn along and Keep calm . Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are working on two of my favorite patterns! That dishcloth pattern is so fun to make....and always looks so extra special as a gift paired with the soaps. Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know you are exhausted when you fall asleep after TWO cups of coffee... either that or you forgot to buy the caffeine. I hope your love one is on their way to recovery...I'm glad you have your knitting to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a lot on your plate right now! Sounds like you needed the sleep. Love the cheery, colorful dishcloths.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those dishcloths are so much fun to do. :-) They'll make great hostess gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those washcloths - the pattern and the yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the dishcloths and the colors you've chosen. Perfect hostess gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have yet to make any of the Hermoine socks, but it's on the list (with everything else!). I also love those rainbow rags :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh lovely cloths! I have had that pattern in my queue for yonks, I really must dye up some cotton and get on with it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the dishcloths. Hope you get some rest and relax with the sock knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I printed out the pattern for the washcloth and the mini cloths too. Thanks for sharing, they do make great gifts! Happy sock knitting :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love those cloths. I have yet to knit those socks, but have lots of stripey yarn to complete a pair.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As you know I love the dishcloth pattern, such a fun pattern that I never get sick of. To be very hones with you I am extremely patient when caring for one of my kids, but I lose it with my husband. He is not the best patient in the world.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  14. School discipline is always so hard to figure out. My husband teaches at a school for kids who didn't 'fit in' at their original districts and getting them on task is no easy feat. Good luck!

    I love your little washcloths!

    Also, caretaking is incredibly stressful and hard. Please be kind to yourself and pay attention to your needs as well... Many hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. please take care of yourself and I hope your loved one gets better and you can worry a little less. Love your washcloths and the bright cheerful colors!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm with Karen, remember to take care of you as you take care of others the best you can. You need your strength and wits in order to be the support you want and need to be.

    I too cannot help but cast on as I cast off. But casting off feels SO good. Wait, maybe that's casting on! ha! I have two sets of those Hermione socks on the needles yet still haven't finished my first pair ...

    ReplyDelete