Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Keep Calm and Knit and Read

It's a bit hard to say good-bye to a long weekend, but I have no choice so I'll be heading out into the real world this morning! Keith and I had a lazy weekend, but did get some yardwork and decluttering done.

I started another hat that I have been hankering to make: Schwimmen by Shannon Cook. It requires a lot more attention than Gladys did. No TV watching while I'm making this one! It will be interesting to see if the result of all the extra work is a better hat than Gladys. I really, really like Gladys so that's a high bar.


I finally finished My Struggle by Karl Ove Knausgaard, and I'm not sure what I think of it. The writing is amazing. Even in translation the prose alone carries you alone. He can be very philosophical in a good and readable way. And he is brutally honest about his own weaknesses and failures.

The downside of this book is the length and the amount of detail. When he writes about running out for beer 20 years ago, he tells you what the clerk looked like, how much the beer cost, and what bills he handed over. How accurate is this? He's got to be filling in holes here. No one can remember that much. I really need to read more about this book -- and the other five that comprise part of the whole project -- to find out how much of it he made up. The thing is that all these details do contribute to an incredibly lifelike portrait of one man's life.

I haven't decided if I'm going to read more. He spent a year teaching north of the Arctic Circle, an area that I'm fascinated by, so I'm tempted to read Volume IV when it comes out in paperback.

Tonight, I'm going to try Elizabeth Graver's Unravelling. I read it years ago and loved it. When I came across this copy at a library sale, I couldn't resist picking it up for 50 cents. It will be interesting to see how I like it so many years later.

I'm joining up with Nicole. Come see what everyone else is knitting and reading!

8 comments:

  1. Your hat will be gorgeous. Just looked up the pattern. LOVELY.
    I don't like a book with that much detail either. Im hoping to finish the book I started last week about a father and daughter. HE is a doctor , she is a daughter with Down Syndrome. Very good, easy quick read

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hat pattern is lovely. That book series sounds very interesting, but I don't know if I could get through all of them! Surely, he can't remember every incident in his life in such detail. I looked up Unravelling - that sounds like a book I would like. Looking at the library!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like Schwimmen will be a good useful hat. Grey goes with EVERYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is hard to say goodbye to a long weekend! You are a busy knitter these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice hat! Hmmm, doesn't sound like the book for me. I struggled with the details and digressions in Les Miserables, and have vowed to stay away from the like!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this hat will be just as good - the yarn looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the yarn you chose for your hat. The color is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the yarn you chose for your hat. The color is perfect!

    ReplyDelete