Thursday, December 4, 2014

Tis the Season for Cowls

And I'm not just saying that. It has been cold here. I can hardly wait to wear this:
It has been another crazy week. Our secretary pointed out that crazy weeks have become the norm, and there's a lot of truth to that!
 
I've been playing catch-up most of the week because I took off Monday to go to Chicago for the funeral of a close friend's mother. I knew Fran, the mom, a bit and I had really liked her. Still, I was unprepared for how emotional the funeral was for me. It wasn't my mom, after all, but I found myself deeply saddened by the thought of a world without Fran. And I was struck by how primal this feeling was, how inescapable, how deeply universal it felt.
 
I am as guilty as anyone of being wrapped up in getting through each day, completing the tasks, making the phone calls, handling the problems, figuring out what to make for dinner and when I'll have time to clean the bathrooms. Going to this funeral really disrupted my usual monkey mind. It is so easy to forget the things that really matter. Since Monday, I have been thinking a lot about how I spend my time and how I want my life to be.
 
There's a lot of think about.

10 comments:

  1. Aww Funerals have a way of reminding us of the fragility and beauty of ordinary days

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find experiencing grief from moments and people that aren't necessarily always directly related to you still very reflective. That reflection is often different for me from experience to experience.

    Your cowl is looking beautiful. Enjoy the knit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for your loss. Hopefully your time of reflection will bring you some answers.

    The cowl is a very pretty color. That will bring some brightness to a dull winter day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes there is a lot to think about and a funeral will do that to you. But remember how wonderful you are doing what you do, you are a very caring woman, I think that is a lot!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope all is well and that things start slowing down. That cowl will be so pretty when you get to the other colors on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These things sometimes hit us in the most unexpected moments, don't they? A little mindfulness and reflection is never a bad thing, I hope good things come of yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A loss is always hard. Thank you for the reminder to be grateful. Hoping you find peace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I share your sadness. We just lost a good friend over the weekend. Life is fragile, for sure. Is that an Ombre yarn you're using for the cowl? Nice colors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm behind in blog reading, so I'm sorry for the late comment about your loss. I know I still miss my mother in law, who died two years ago next month. Be good to yourself.

    ReplyDelete