Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Worth Reading

This is a real gem of a book:

Author Ann Hood (you might remember her as the author of The Knitting Circle) has pulled together a batch of charming yarns from 27 knitting writers, (Who knew so many writers had time to knit?) including some of my favorites: Lan Samantha Chang, Andre Dubus II and Elissa Schappell. She snagged some of the best-known authors, like Barbara Kingsolver, Su Grafton, and Ann Patchett.

I have to say that there isn't a weak link in this lovely chain (think crochet!) of stories. Lan Samantha Chang has a thoughtful essay on whether we knit gifts for ourselves or to satisfy the recipient. Martha Frankel's piece has a surprisingly dark side to it. Jennifer Lauck is touchingly honest in her retelling of a one-year marriage. And, yes, knitting is featured in all the stories.

There are some patterns sprinkled throughout the book. None tempted me -- but then there are no color photos (or any photos at all) like the ones we are all used to on Ravelry! That's OK, my Ravelry queue is already ridiculously long.

2 comments:

  1. I received this book for Christmas, and have been waiting for "just the right time" to read it ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought this books a few weeks ago when I was on vacation in St. Augustine. Glad you thought it was really good. Now I can't wait to dive into it!

    ReplyDelete