Thursday, February 27, 2014

Yarn Trends

Although this is a crummy flash photo ...

... the yarn itself is beautiful.  It's a skein of Miss Babs "Yummy" handpainted fingering yarn. I think I bought it from a destash on Ravelry -- though I'm not sure.

What I am sure of is that I was lusting after this yarn because there had been a lot of buzz about it on Ravelry and on blogs. I pulled this out of my stash yesterday when I was searching for a good yarn for a pair of fingerless mitts. I smiled when I saw it. I remembered how much I wanted it -- and then was amused by how easily I forgot it once it was in my stash.

Looking back, I can see that there are definitely trends in yarn popularity. Some, like MadTosh, retain that buzz. Others seem to attract less attention, even though people are still buying them. I haven't heard of anyone stalking Web sites for Wollmeise, although I'm sure people are still purchasing it.

 I imagine that Ravelry has helped a lot of indie dyers get buzz. I had a subscription to Yarntini sock yarn for a while -- but it arrived faster than I could knit it up! I remember swooning over Plucky Yarn when I actually encountered it.

There is so much amazing yarn out there. And, yet, I never seem to lose my desire for more! It's kind of like chocolate; I just can't get enough of the good stuff!




3 comments:

  1. I have yet to try knitting with good high quality yarn - I guess I'm a little afraid that if I do I'll become obsessed and my hobby will end up costing me a fortune!
    Martina

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how yarn trends go! I'm a sucker for almost any indie dyer but now I'm starting to get more interested in trying out unique yarn bases, too. Not just merino, or merino/cashmere/nylon, but unique blends of different breeds of sheep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know that Wollemeise is trendy. I don't stalk it online because it sells out faster than I find it, but I'd definitely buy it if I ever saw it. The colours are awesome, the yardage is great and the socks wear like iron. Seriously!

    Never had "Yummy Fingering" ... now I may need to look out for that too.

    ReplyDelete