Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Mindless Knitting; Thought-provoking Reading

I feel so lucky to be part of this blogging community. I can't thank you all enough for your comments and thoughts and prayers. Especially being cooped up in the house, it really helped to feel all that support from all of you!

So, an update: The incision seems to continue to heal. I have been doing a good job playing couch potato, partly because it hurts less when I don't move! I really can't complain. I've had good care and good company. I am VERY squeamish, though, and I kind of freak out when my hand brushes against a staple!

I set up a few hat projects before my surgery, including this Toboggan Run, a pattern by Jaala Spiro of Knit Circus.
Isn't the yarn fabulous? It is Fox Trail Fibre Arts MCN Worsted. I picked up this skein in Montreal last year. The yellows and oranges really pop out from the dark gray. It's going to be a gift. I kind of hate to give away the yarn, but there is a limit to how many knitted items one girl needs!
Still reading these two books. The Sixth Extinction  bogs down in the middle and is very depressing -- a litany of how we are destroying the oceans and the forests, etc. I appreciate that we need to know this information, it's just hard to read. The last couple chapters are more varied, though, and I should finish this soon.
Homegoing is a sweeping, multi-generational story of eight generations beginning with two half-sisters in Africa during the era of the slave trade. It is an important book, but not always easy to read.

Joining up with Kat for Unraveled.



16 comments:

  1. Oooh, that yarn is lovely and looks fabulous with that pattern. Seed stitch is gorgeous no matter how you look at it.

    There's nothing wrong with being a couch potato when you're recovering, so enjoy the time and let your body heal itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's good you are feeling better and getting a lot of rest and relaxation. I like the hat and the colors of the yarn. Those books do sound interesting and important to read hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. UGH! Staples! I remember them. They are pinchy!!! Hope you get the out soon and continue to heal well.

    You're right .... that yarn is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I recommend a book? I picked up "The Orchardist" (novel) at the library sale a couple weeks ago and it's really really good! It takes place around 1900 in rural Oregon. It's not exactly light reading, but not super heavy or depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hat is wonderful, and your are generous to be knitting a hat to give away! I might be tempted to make up some excuse to try and keep that great yarn for myself. I hope your thought-provoking reading is keeping your mind off any squeamish stuff, and that you continue to heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to hear that you are on the mend and hope each day finds you feeling lots better. Love the hat, and so will its recipient! Have you read The Underground Railroad by Colin Whitehead? I am going to try your Homecoming as i think it might be a good follow up. As is yours, my book was compelling but not easy to read/learn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that yarn too! It's looks great in that pattern. It's going to be a fabulous gift.
    Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great yarn combination-you are making a very pretty hat!
    Keep resting and healing; it is the best 'activity' for you right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you are recuperating well. Keep taking care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad the healing continues to progress. Ugh to staples too...I know that feeling. LOVE the yarn you are using for the hat - fabulous. Continue to take care of yourself and let others pamper you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great yarn! I love how it pooled in the ribbing so you got that solid vs. striped sections. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. never tried the Circus yarn, but love your pick. Happy you are healing and following instructions to lay low. ENJOY it. Time for a funny book?

    ReplyDelete
  13. so very very glad that you are on the road to recovery.....with the whirlwind your life has been, I think a little coach potato-ing is in order!!! sounds like i must add 6th extinction to my pile of conservation books....and i did really enjoy Homegoing. I found a couple of the stories hard, like you said....but many more weren't. I know it got mixed reviews, but I liked it! Keep mending.....great pile of knits you amassed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am glad that you are taking it easy and allowing yourself to recover. And, I will continue to send healing thoughts your way. And, yes - that hat is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. yes, take it easy, relax, knit, sketch read and doing NOTHING. All good for you! I'm glad the blogging community is here and going strong :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bravo for following the doctor's advice! I am so glad you are healing! xx

    ReplyDelete