Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Black and Gray for Today

As long as I have to spend a lot of time lounging around, I thought I'd start my Winter Ridge Cowl Shawl. It requires casting on 472 stitches. Seriously.
f
After you finally finish casting on all those stitches, you get to make the adorable loops that go around the bottom. This part is way more fun than casting on and counting. I especially hate the counting part.
I am reading a really great mystery. I rarely pick up mysteries because I burned out on them a long time ago, but Magpie Murders got such great reviews that I actually purchased it for my Kindle.

And it is every bit as good as the reviews said. I don't want to give away too much, but let me say that it is a cozy English mystery wrapped inside a contemporary mystery. I think the story-within-a-story gig is hard to do well, but Anthony Horowitz has built two solid stories.

I'm not done yet, but I bet the ending won't disappoint.

Join us over at Unraveled to share what you are knitting and reading.

13 comments:

  1. Whoa....that's a lot of stitches!!! Thanks for the book review. I was looking for a good mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. I use stitch markers to mark off every 20-25 stitches when I have to catch on a huge number... otherwise I'd go bonkers with the counting and re-counting! Love that looped edging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I'll be casting on 472 stitches any time in the near future, but I have added Magpie Murders to my list! Anthony Horowitz wrote a great series (Alex Rider) that were always my go-to books to recommend to middle school boys when I worked in the library. You've made this one sound quite enticing, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The book sounds intriguing: I love a good mystery.

    Yikes, that's a LOT of casting on. How do you determine how long of a tail to use for the cast on? Any secrets or tips for not running out of yarn while casting on?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a LOT of casting on! LOL Have fun with the new project AND the new book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the book recommendation! I need a new mystery author/series!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG 472 stitches? Yikes!!! But I do love that looped edge. I've heard about that book from others - need to add it to my list. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate casting on stitches! I've done 450 before - but not had to join them in the round afterwards! You are braver than me! I have enough problems joining 100 stitches in the round - LOL! I do love those loops around the edge!

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great book review-I'm going to splurge for it!
    The knitting makes a perfect reading accessory!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your loops are darling. I loathe the counting. and over 400 stitches. YOu are my hero today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a lot of stitches to cast on! I would probably keep losing count when counting to make sure I have the right number of stitches. The loops are really nice, I hope it is a fun knit. Hope you enjoy the book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the knitting (I'll be looking at the pattern next) and the book looks good! Nothing like falling into a story :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I could never count to 400+ stitches reliably; I put a marker every 20 stitches any time I need more than 30 st. But that cowl shawl looks like a lot of fun! (I sent a link to it to a friend who works in a cold office.) And I just requested Magpie Murders from my library system -- thanks!

    ReplyDelete