Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Getting Some Things Done

I think I've turned a corner and the pain level has really dropped. Still, this has not been a terrible recovery. I knit an entire shawl already:
This is an Antarktis in a Knit Circus gradient (can't find the ball band!). I thought I had too much yarn, but I was wrong and I had to end a bit early. I can't move around enough to block yet, but I'm sure it will block out to a good size.

I finished the painting I started on a day trip Keith and I took before my surgery to Viroqua, Wis.
This is a beautiful old building. To me, the touching thing is the For Sale sign along the side of the building. I'm not sure painting is the right word because I used Derwent Inktense Pencils, my usual medium.

I packed up a box of hand knits for the folks on Pine Ridge Reservation, one of the most poverty-stricken areas in the United States. You can learn more about this project at the Ravelry group. I mostly sent mittens and scarves.

I've been trying to knit outside for a little while every morning, before the mosquitos swarm! Yesterday I noticed that our yard is dotted with these:
It's a mushroom, not a flower.

Summer break is roughly half over, and it's going way too fast! When I can move around a little better, I need to go into school and start getting organized for next year. I learned the hard way last year that the pace is very fast in high school and I need to hit the ground running!



12 comments:

  1. I LOVE your Antarktis! I've resisted looking at Knit Circus gradient yarn so far, but now that I've seen your FO I have to go check it out for myself. I hope your pain level continues to decrease and your recovery is complete very soon so you can do more beautiful paintings like this one and enjoy the rest of your summer break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't miss the days and days of prep before school starts. I had two. Lassrooms and a darkroom to prep as well as lessons. I sometimes have a twinge of regret when I walk down the Back to School aisles, but it passes. Don't push yourself to go back too early, as you don't want a relapse. I'm glad that you have noticed reduced pain which means you're turning the corner.

    Your drawing is fabulous! You have an artist's eye for perspective and color. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your painting - what a fabulous building. Your shawl turned out beautifully. Love the blues. Seems like you just got out of school...and then had your surgery. It can't be time to even think about going back yet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is going way to fast! Slow down, dear July! And, that shawl looks like the summer sky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad that you are feeling better! It's good to be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

    Your painting is beautiful. You are very talented!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The shawl is just brilliant. Those colors really pop. Your drawings of buildings always impress the heck out of me. When I was in art school I loved the classes on architectural design the most. Those skills are long gone, I'm afraid. What we don't use we certainly lose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your shawl is wonderful. That is exactly where I donate my handknits. It is such a cold place in the Winter, they need all the warm woolens they can get. Glad you are recovering.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice job on the shawl-the blues really make the texture stitches stand out! I love your drawing! I could go right up the steps and into the building!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you're feeling better and I love your shawl; isn't that a great pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  10. The mosquitoes are vicious this year. A friend of mine recently told me that late spring cold weather killed off a lot of spiders that would normally eat a lot of mosquitoes. That combined with all the warm, wet weather we're having has caused a population boom. Ugh.

    Summer is going too fast. I wish it would last longer, even though my kids are bored with me already.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your shawl is beautiful, enjoy wearing it when it is blocked. Love love love your painting! You are very talented indeed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad you turned a corner in your pain - baby steps! I am pea green with envy of your art skills. I did pull out a sketchbook and pencils and drew a chickadee from a photo, I'm starting slowly. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete