Thursday, October 27, 2016

What Happened to Vogue Knitting?

I have not been a fan of Vogue Knitting. Too many of the patterns seemed designed more for the runway than for real women. And some of the patterns have been downright ridiculous! But the fall 2016 issue is different.
Not only has the size changed -- it's a bit bigger -- but the patterns are beautiful and practical -- every single pattern is a garment that you can imagine someone wearing. My favorite is this sweater, a new twist on the traditional Gansey:
There are a couple gorgeous Fair Isle patterns, like this lovely cowl:
I really like this scarf, only I'm not crazy about the ribbed, sleeve-like ends. I think I'd just Kitchner the ends for a more traditional tube scarf.
There are some really interesting articles about historic knitting, and those articles are accompanied by luscious photos:
I can't remember the last time I purchased Vogue Knitting, but this is one issue I could not resist. I wonder if this is a new trend?




13 comments:

  1. I noticed the change myself. I used to subscribe but it was all too weird for me. Out of about 5 years worth of magazines I think I made one thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping it is the new trend. I bought this issue too. Not sure I will make anything, but it was fun to look through this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm gonna have to give it a flip through! I quite subscribing to all the knitting magazines because I knit from Ravelry...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your experience has been mine with VK, but that issue is a winner! You may have started a run on the magazine racks for this issue :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I noticed the same phenomenon in Interweave Knits last month - I hope that both magazines have noticed the lack of enthusiasm for the designs and that this is the beginning of a new and more realistic direction for them both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you wrote about this as I have not picked up Vogue Knitting for years for the very reasons you stated. I will try to find this issue, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll have to check it out...when I can once again read and knit instead of setting up my new classroom! Starting on day 39 of the school year is TOUGH!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't ever read this - not sure you can get it in the UK! - but I know what you mean about magazines having things in you can actually make as opposed to those you can't. Hope you enjoy some of these makes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope it is a new trend. The Interweave etc got too sophisticated in their patterns for me. IT was a waste of good yarn money to buy them. Have you seen POMPOM the magazine? Anyhow I will take a look at your Vogue. Thanks for the suggestion

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting! I'll have to check it out. Vogue Knitting has always been too fashion-y/edgy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The magazine looks wonderful ♥

    ReplyDelete