Sunday, October 16, 2016

The Fourth Time is the Charm -- I Hope

One of the key ideas in Sequence Knitting is that it is supposed to require a minimum of thought: Memorize the sequence and knit. Of course, nothing is that simple in my knitting world. I ripped out the first cast-on because I though (mistakenly) that I had made a mistake. I recast on and then ripped it again because I didn't love the colors. When you are knitting with 800 yards of fingering-weight yarn, you must love the colors!

Then I picked out these two colors from the stash. I've been looking for the right use for the red ball, which was a gift from my daughter.

I was happy with the colors but my stitch count was way off after knitting 8 rows of the 3rd attempt. So I ripped a THIRD time. I'm hoping the fourth time will go better.  As you can see, I put in some stitch markers.

Cecilia of Sequence Knitting holds a Ph.D. in Chemistry (the very definition of super smart, in my book), so maybe what's easy for her isn't so easy for an English major like me!

8 comments:

  1. I have to say that I am really drawn to those colours. Sounds a bit like me with my project at the moment which I might add are on circular needles too :) I have ripped back at least twice to date.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to you for hanging in there! Stitch markers have saved me more times; I sure like those 2 colors together. Good luck on try 4!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's just harder to concentrate because we have so much on our minds. I'll be knitting along and my thoughts will drift. Next thing I know ...... mistakes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I devoutly believe in the magic power of stitch markers. You can't have too many.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find it crazy how some projects just stump us and then you get it and wonder what was the problem! I find late evenings are my worst thinking times for knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that the knitting settles into a rhythm for you that makes the sequence simpler!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I needed a stitch marker too this weekend. Ripping out can make me feel so defeated. I wondered this weekend if it was quitting time for knitting! FIreman laughed at that thought of mine. But Im on track again and am glad you are too

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the fourth time will be the key. I hate it when I have to rip something out that many times.
    Good luck,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete