Saturday, October 8, 2016

"Yarn" the Movie

A couple of friends and I dragged ourselves out of bed early on this Saturday morning to see "Yarn" the movie, which was playing in Stoughton, a small city about 30 miles from Madison.

The movie is entertaining, but kind of a disappointment. It's only about a small group of yarn artists -- and crochet is the main technique involved. There are beautiful scenes of Icelandic sheep in their native habitat, but no explanation of why these scenes are included. There are some nice street scenes from cities like Copenhagen and Havana. If it's convenient, go see it. But I wouldn't recommend going to great lengths.
The movie was sponsored by a Stoughton yarn store, Spry Whimsy Fiber Arts, and we enjoyed looking around there. One of my friends bought a skein of yarn, but she was more interested in their felted items:
They specialize in felting, needle-felting, and spinning. They have  small but lovely selection of yarn.  I stuck to my yarn diet  and came home with no wool! Yay for me!

12 comments:

  1. Someone was just tweeting about that movie and I went and looked at the trailer. It didn't do anything for me. I suppose I am an old fuddy duddy but I would rather watch someone knit a plain sock than all the weird stuff some fiber artist do with wool. I am hooked on the slow TV knitting shows on Netflix. They put me to sleep every night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw it in August; I enjoyed it, but it definitely was more of an art movie than a knitting movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though you didn't buy anything, I'll bet you enjoyed looking through that shop. It looks like a lovely place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when friends forewarn me about not wasting movie time. Im very particular about what I see. Im very very affected by visual stim. I cannot do horror movies at all etc. THanks for the honest review friend

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about the movie but good for you sticking to your yarn diet. I am on one too!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the heads up on the movie. And, yarn diets sometimes are a necessity!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the movie. My mother-in-law, an avid weaver, saw it too and didn't seem all that enthused. I guess I won't hurry to watch it on DVD. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess I'm not watching that movie.. I like compelling tv! I go on yarn diets so I can go off yarn diets :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like an interesting movie ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Impressive control my friend. I could feel your disappointment in the movie. You lost me with crochet, to be honest. With something like yarn and knitting that I love so much, I could see myself being disappointed too if it doesn't relate. Sometimes "the art" is too elevated for me I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've not heard of the movie, but since crochet isn't my thing, will probably pass on it. Good job on the yarn diet; I need to follow your example!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your review of he movie. Bravo on sticking to your yarn diet. You would have been proud of me for sticking to mine when on impulse a friend invited me along to look at some new yarn last week :)

    ReplyDelete