Monday, July 4, 2016

Knitting Camp Rocks

Look who I spent the last five days with:
Yes, that is Meg Swansen, daughter of Elizabeth Zimmerman and doyen of the knitting world. I know I am very lucky that her famous camp in Marshfield, Wis., is just a two-and-a-half-hour drive from Madison. That makes it so much more affordable!

This is my second year at camp, and it just gets better every year. The staff is just amazing. Meg does the morning class; Amy Detjen and Heather Black are the workhorses -- they are there early and late, greasing the gears and answering endless questions.
Amy shows off her holiday leggings.
As you know, knitters are the nicest people on the planet.  Some of my favorite people from last year were back, and I made so many new friends, including indie Indianapolis dyer, Mandie Harrington. She sells her amazing yarn under the name of Sheepy Time Knits.
Here she's selling her yarn at the market. I sold my knitting-related earrings and paid for about 10% of the trip with my proceeds.

This year was especially fun because my dear friend Marsha went with me.  We are just so compatible and had a great time together. It feels weird that she's not here knitting with me now!

Yes, I bought yarn and fell in love with more EZ patterns, but that's for another post. In the meantime, let me leave you with some of the wit and wisdom of Meg Swansen:

"I'm helpless with written directions; the apple didn't fall far from the tree."
"If it's something you never  want to see again, give it to charity and someone will be happy to have it."
And my favorite:
"Cheating is not only permitted in knitting, it is encouraged."

Happy 4th to all in the U.S.







12 comments:

  1. Awww that sounds like so much fun. While I have never followed Elizabeth Zimmerman or her Daughter, I bet that was an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so lucky! I think Meg grew up in the same town I did, but I didn't know her mom and wasn't really knitting much when I was in grade school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like Meg Swanson is a pretty smart lady! LOL

    Glad you were able to spend some quality time with your friend AND your knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in awe. I have always adored EZ. I checked her first books out of the library many, many moons ago when I first picked up the needles and she lit a fire in me that never went out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun that would be! I've never gone to a knitting camp, but I think it would be great, even if just for the experience itself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ugh oh. Ugh oh. I"ll Go with you next year if we do indeed move to Wisconsin!! Squeal !!!! I love her 'quotes' Wow Directions throw her?

    ReplyDelete
  7. i've only just barely recovered my coloring (I've been green with envy since you were there LASt year!!!)...and now you were back again!!! So happy you had such a great adventure.....details, please!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like Heaven! Wish I could have been there. Wonderful quotes. Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for letting us in on your fun! Isn't great to know that someone we esteem highly in their knitting achievements, has qualms about following patterns and such :) So glad you got to go! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow what a great time! I'm glad it was so good and didn't break the bank -- what a great opportunity. I love the knitting quotes too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Knitting camp.....now that's something I could get into for sure! I'm so envious right now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am super jealous and super excited for you that you had that experience AGAIN! how cool is that?? Thanks for sharing the trip and the celebrity sighting!!

    ReplyDelete