Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Yarn Along in the East Bay

Greetings from beautiful Berkeley. I'm visiting my friend Joni and we are having our usual wonderful time crafting, shopping, and eating.

While I am on a deadline for an embroidery project, I have devoted some time to a pair of socks that I am enjoying:

This is a highly modified version of Whiz Bang. I am knitting my usual cuff-down sock but incorporating the slip-stitch pattern from Whiz Bang. The yarn is Spun Right Round, and it very smooshy. The colors are just beautiful.
I have mixed feelings about Empire of the Summer Moon, which is a nonfiction book about how the United States defeated the Comanches. One of the stories is that of Cynthia Ann Parker, who was kidnapped by the Comanches as a young girl and later chose to stay. That story is fascinating. But there are a lot of battles, and I've never been a fan of military history.
On my Kindle, I'm reading the novel The Nest, about a dysfunctional family of adult children. There are a million books on this theme, but this one is especially good.
I'm joining up with Ginny for Yarn Along.

16 comments:

  1. Your sock is so cute! That's a riot of pretty color.

    Now I'm off to put The Nest in my queue on Goodreads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that sock! Those are perfect summer colors for that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to hear you are enjoying "The Nest"! I loved it!! and will be on the look out for more future books from this author....

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sock! I love it. Reminds me of Tetris!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sock is such a pretty color! Now to check out the pattern and The Nest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. very very pretty sock knitting and I love the design you chose to knit it up in. Quite pretty!! have fun with your friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such fun! Love Spun Right Round yarn! So colorful! You've inspired me to read a lot this summer, although I haven't notated much if any of my reading on blog. Read LaRose by Louise Erdrich if you can! Just finished and it was amazing! Perfect antidote to the book you are currently reading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I meant your girl time was fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sock is beautiful! I love the colors.. excellent choice! I have been considering reading The Nest - but have not found time to squeeze it in this summer. However, your current read is fascinating and I am adding it to my book list! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow! I LOVE those socks! The yarn + the slip stitch pattern is giving them such a textured appearance. It's the perfect combination!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great great sock. The Native American book sounds fascinating but a bit sad too. Such a great loss we made them suffer

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the sock colors and thank you for the Nest book suggestion.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  14. The sock is just summery and fun. That's what your trip sounds like. I feel sad I'm missing you though. did you check your email?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the yarn colour - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love love love your socks! Best color and pattern ever. Xoxo Andrea @ This Knitted Life

    ReplyDelete