Sunday, July 31, 2016

Back to Crafting

Things on the knitting front have been quiet. I didn't finish my 1st travel sock until I got home from California.
I like the way it is turning out, but it is kind of a tedious knit. Because of all the color changes, I can't just read my knitting so I have to count much of the time. I know I'm going to love these socks, but I doubt I'll knit this pattern again.
I bought this skein from A Verb for Keeping Warm in Oakland. It is a purplish skein of sock yarn that is part of their own line of yarn. It has cashmere in it so it is deliciously soft! It is going to be a Granola Sock, which will give me some much-needed practice with cables.

So, what have I been working on? It is an embroidered piece that is going to be part of a hanging quilt. I've committed to hanging it in a show and it MUST be delivered on Sept. 1.
To be in this show, a piece must feature Wisconsin native flora or fauna. As you can see from these sneak-peeks, I'm focusing on flora. Much easier!
This project is a stretch for me in so many ways. I've never embroidered a large piece of my own design before. And I haven't quilted in decades (and I wasn't ever that good at it).  Luckily, my MIL is an expert seamstress, so I can go to her with all the problems I'm sure to have!


11 comments:

  1. The sock pattern is a big WOW! Gorgeous!

    Your embroidery looks pretty good from here! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your embroidery is out of this world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice sock, I love the color. Did you ever say what the pattern is? Love your embroidery, too. Fun to see the violets! How big will the finished piece be? Good luck on the finish! It's going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and thanks for the link to the Granola sock. It looks so intriguing I couldn't resist even though I DON'T need any more patterns. Love Tin Can patterns a lot and have NO will power at all.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful knitting and stitching! I am eager to see this finished stitching project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. had to add granola socks to my list....love those!!! and that embroidery! WOWOW....you are one brave (or crazy!!) lady to take on such a big project, with a deadline so near, but it's going to be amazingly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your embroidery is beautiful!!!! I love your socks and the new yarn, my kind of color :) Good luck with your deadline.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are going to be in a show! Good for you my friend. I love embroidery. Can't do it. Your sock is really pretty. I dont like tedious counting though......I'm such a lazy knitter

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your embroidery is gorgeous! What beautiful work. Best wishes for the show, I'm sure the quilt will be so popular.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your embroidery. I have always wanted to try it and make my son a cute pillow case! Good luck with your second sock! It is gorgeous but it looks difficult to knit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well maybe you didn't get as far on your socks as you expected, but you've been up to some good stuff! That embroidery looks lovely! You just reminded me I have a gift certificate to A Verb for Keeping Warm. Ooo cashmere!

    ReplyDelete