Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Channeling Elizabeth

The best way I could think of to extend the magic of Knitting Camp was to knit an Elizabeth Zimmerman pattern, so I chose The Katmandu Hat.
While I was at camp, I bought a skein of the Rangeley yarn that the pattern is written for. (You can buy it from Schoolhouse Press if you follow the link.) I should have chosen a lighter color because this is my second attempt. The charcoal color made it hard for me to see I was skipping a step in my first try.

The pattern is from this book, which was published post-humously and features garter-stitch patterns:
You start knitting at the bottom center of the back. If you look very closely at my photo, you can see that V beginning to emerge in my knitting.
Happily, I feel a bit of the magic of camp with every knit and purl. EZ was a knitting architect, and this pattern displays that talent. One of the great things about camp is that it builds your confidence. This pattern incorporates a slew of different i-cord methods, all of which are new to me. I don't think I'd be willing to try them if I had not been to camp.

I finished Peggy Guggenheim by Francine Prose, largely because it was short. As much as I love modern art, it was hard to stick with Peggy. She was a self-centered rich woman who neglected her children while she chased men and artists (who were sometimes one and the same). I will give her credit for having good taste in art at least.
Tonight I'll dive into The Forgotten Girls. It's an impulse buy from Target so I hope I didn't waste my money. I'm just in the mood for some suspense, and this novel is by Sarah Blaedel, who is one of Denmark's top mystery writers. I'll let you know if it's good or not.

I'm joining in with Ginny for Yarn Along.

11 comments:

  1. i've wanted to go to that camp f-o-r-e-v-e-r!!! Sounds so inspiring....EZ really was a genius, yet so practical (from the books I've read)

    ReplyDelete
  2. To my greatest shame I've never read anything by Elizabeth Zimmerman! I have to put it on my must-read list!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your review of the Guggenheim book... reminds me that I haven't been to that museum in quite some time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fun knit! I enjoyed making the Baby Surprise Jacket and the way it amazingly turns into a sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love her patterns because they aren't fancy but practical. That looks like a great hat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love the shaping on that hat pattern you're doing! It's going to be great. I'm definitely struggling with darker yarns these days. I don't want to talk about it much, ;)

    I always enjoy your reading reviews and as I'm a suspense/mystery fan, I look forward to your update!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your reviews. Love your EZ cast on! Let me know if it is EASY K?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a serious case of Knitting Camp envy here! Love the knit and, I agree, it is most appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your new hat has interesting construction. I can't wait to see this one come along. I've never tried an EZ pattern, but the one on the cover of the book is very pretty. I might have to look for that book.

    Happy knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. charcoal gray may be hard to knit with, but it's turning out pretty! What a clever pattern, I am sure it will work out :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the new hat, can't wait to see your progress. Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete