Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Knitting in the Heat

It has been a hot summer, hasn't it? In southern Wisconsin, we're headed back up to the high 80s, and the humidity is off the charts!

The only good thing I can say about this weather is that it is perfect for iced coffee, which I love. My method: Set up a French press the night before; put it in the frig overnight with the plunger all the way up; then plunge in the morning and pour over ice.
If you know me, you know I cannot knit monogamously. Just can't pull it off. Even though my Whiz Bang socks are coming along fine, I just had to cast on the Aprika Cowl. I saw a few samples at an LYS earlier this summer and then fell in love with the yarn, Rowan Softyak. It really is soft. And not as pricey as you might think at $13 per skein.

I've started reading White Trash, which got excellent reviews. It is fascinating, but also discouraging. This country has never offered opportunity for all, even going back before the Revolution. I am not shocked, but it is painful to read the details. It is well-written, but I'd say it's a book for history nerds.

Join me at Ginny's Yarn Along.

10 comments:

  1. I had no idea it got so hot up in your neck of the woods. Playing with wool in heat and humidity is no fun. My big Olympic knitting plans are a bust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The heat has been insane here as well, and as for monogamy and knitting - what is that? lol. Interesting read - I will have to add it to my list, however, will it make me more fearful for the coming election?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm with you on the heat this year....thought we'd get a reprieve when we were on the Cape last week and apparently just brought the heat and humidity with us (and we had no a/c there...stinkin' hot) Now we're home...and it's rained every day and the temps are still over 90. (Honestly, what would we do if we didn't have the weather to complain about!!!!!!)
    Do you really know any monogamous knitters? I think multi-tasking knitting is a prerequisite to calling yourself a real knitter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our summer in Switzerland has been mediocre, with a lot of rain which has brought with it cooler temperatures. Not that I am complaining, I find the usual summers in Europe, stifling, most people don't understand that our summers in Africa are a lot easier to handle as we have (in the plateau regions) rather dry weather which makes temps so much easier to bear.

    Your iced coffee tip sounds great - thanks for sharing.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think there has been a society any time or any where that had total equality among the inhabitants. It's just not in human nature. Really, it's not in any nature .....even animals have a heirarchy ---- hence "the pecking order".

    It's sad that "all men are equal" is not true now (or then) and probably never will be considering that our society seems to be more divisive than EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will try your coffee making method!!! Yes!
    Hahah I may cast on anew too today

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've had tons and tons of days in the high 90's and then factor in the humidity and..well, I have NOT been a happy camper - LOL!
    I have about 20 plus projects going right now - and am thinking about starting more - ha!

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your idea for making iced coffee. Will try that soon although it is not as hot here - still a good choice for an afternoon on the deck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I fear that that book would make me too sad. I have up to four knits on the needles then I go a little bonkers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wish I could beam you some of our cool weather! I just found something started ages ago; boy was it tricky figuring out where I'd stopped. Never learn, do I?

    ReplyDelete