Friday, June 3, 2016

My Art Opening

Last night the Jewish Artists Lab had the opening for our art show. A member who is a poet started it off with a spoken word performance, and then people milled around and looked at the works. We got a nice turnout, so it turned out to be a lot of fun.

Here are my works:
I don't know if you can tell on a screen that they are embroidered figures of Jewish immigrants on cloth printed with ship manifests from around 1900. They are a Jewish interpretation of Plains Indians' ledger paintings, like this one:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7f/RedDogDrawing.jpg
Native Americans from the Plains began painting on ledger paper after buffalo became rare and then extinct. So, I replaced the ledger paper with the ship manifest and the Native American drawings with Jewish themes.

People seemed to like them, so that made me happy, too!

14 comments:

  1. They are so wonderful!!!!! I am sending them to my dear friend Abby.
    She is on the board of a Jewish Camp in Wisconsin in Waupaca.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, they are brilliant, well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats....they are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, I love them so much! You are so talented!!

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are AWESOME. You did a beautiful job portraying the immigrants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yay! That sounds fun. And what a beautifully cleaver idea. They are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work! What a great idea and wonderful stitching, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are wonderful, you are so talented!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think these are lovely! I especially like the Ship Manifest idea for the background!

    ReplyDelete
  10. your art is beautiful and emotionally moving. My family arrived through Ellis Island and I found their docket tickets before you had to pay to see them (making a buck!).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your work is meaningful and beautiful, Deborah. Thanks for letting me enjoy seeing it. I'm glad the event went well! xx

    ReplyDelete