Monday, June 13, 2016

Is This Why It Hurts?

I've been knitting great guns on my Harvest sweater, using the magic loop technique, which I really like. However, for the first time ever, my right hand and forearm really hurt.
Could it be that something about the way I'm holding that long needle is causing the pain? I'm not knitting more than I have at other points, so I don't think it's an issue of too much knitting. Has anyone out there found that certain techniques hurt their hands and/or arms?

Here it is the first Monday of spring break and I feel like I have to lay off the knitting. While that is kind of a bummer, it isn't going to ruin things for me. One advantage of having so many crafts, is that I'll just turn to embroidery or beading. I'm sure I can find something fun to do.

Besides, my house is in chaos, so decluttering is on the agenda for the entire summer. And so is work! After 10 years, I have moved on from 8th grade. In the fall, I'll be a special ed teacher at a high school. I'm excited about a new challenge and older studentws. It doesn't hurt that the school is a half-mile from my house. Both my children went to this high school, so I know a lot about it -- and it is a great place.

I'll be heading over there this afternoon to meet with my new boss. I've known her for years, and she is an excellent teacher.

Wishing you a pain-free week!


10 comments:

  1. bless you special ed is a vocation and a job you will be awesome

    Hmm now about that pain. SOmetimes when I'm knitting on circs I get that pull in my arm just below the elbow bend on the inside of my arm.
    I woud put it down for a bit. I'd go to wooden doulbe points for some sock action .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the job change! I hope that will be fun and exciting for the new adventure. I am not sure how to handle the pain. I hope it is gone today and you wont have to worry about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog. First day of summer break is the beginning of a time of possibilities! Like you, I spent ten years teaching eighth grade before moving on to 24 years in high school. My hat is off to all of you special Ed teachers. I think you will find the change rejuvenating. The half-mile to school is a real bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the new teaching position! I know you will be a blessing to your students!

    Could it be pulling the magic loop that is making your arm hurt?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations and best wishes for your new job! I used to teach high school English and it was a very rewarding job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You might be on to something; I know crocheting makes my hand hurt. Congrats on the new job, and blessings, too; good special ed teachers are so important! (Nice to have a supportive boss as well)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am battling a nasty bursitis in my right shoulder so I am also out of commision. It's no fun.
    Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes. It is something to do with the project if you ask me. I cannot knit with metal needles (dpn) for socks. Because of my wrist/hand issues I am staying away from all sock knitting for now. I think I'm an aggressive knitter....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on moving to the next challenge, but I'm sorry about the pain. I can't offer an answer I'm afraid but hopefully a break will be the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you have a wonderful time planning for your new teaching challenge! As a full time teaching assistant at an elementary school in the Title 1 program I felt like I had the best job ever. Mostly I was involved in one on one tutoring which I really enjoyed. When I left work I had no homework other than housework and child tending so I had it easier than the teachers [and earned a third of what they earned.] Summers were fabulous breaks that truly flew by :)

    ReplyDelete