Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Looks Can Be Deceiving

This photo makes it look as though I have done no knitting on Brickless since last week. But that is hardly the case.
I realized last week that I wasn't following the directions closely and I had made huge issues on where to bind off, meaning that Brickless would not work out at all. So, I frogged and started all over again. Sigh. You would think I'd know enough to read the directions carefully. Will I ever learn?

So I'm now just a little past the point I was at last week. Also, the yarn is a tomato red, not the pink it keeps showing up as. I've tried taking photos at different times of day, but I can't capture the color accurately!
As for reading, I finished Between the World and Me and I think us white folks need to read this to begin to understand what it means to live in black skin in this society. He makes you feel both the fragility of the body and the joy of the culture. Most of my students are African-American, so it was a really important book for me.

I'm also finding Ghettoside to be insightful. This book centers around the murder of a L.A. Police Department detective's son. The author, an LA Times reporter, goes into the culture of both South Central Los Angeles and the police department. It is both fascinating and heartbreaking.

And I need to get going on My Brilliant Friend. I've just been so taken with the other two books, especially in the aftermath of the murder of my former student in Chicago. Two 16-year-olds have been arrested in his murder -- making the story even sadder. If you want, you can read the story here.

I'll be checking in at Yarn Along. See you there!

16 comments:

  1. Sorry you had to do some frogging. Brickless goes pretty fast once you get the pattern memorized. You'll have it done in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear. If you had to frog, I wonder how i'd do? Nancy just posted her brickless It sure is lovely when its going well I guess

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds frustrating, but the Brickless pattern looks beautiful! Both My Brilliant Friend and Between the World and Me are on my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some colors just do NOT photograph well. I have that problem with purple!

    It sure will be a pretty scarf when it is done.

    I had the same problem with a pair of socks. I was almost to the heel when I noticed 20 rows back I had shifted the pattern. FROGGED IT AGAIN!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to stick with it!!!! I would have froged it and made socks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm knitting the Beickless, too, and can't get a good photo. My yarn is charcoal and photographing as purple. I frogged my first attempt, too.

    Dee directed to your blog and I'm enjoying reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brickless is on my to do list also. What weight yarn are you using?Love your color even if it's not photographing true.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My camera doesn't do reds either. It drives me crazy. Sorry about the frogging. It's such a necessary evil sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My camera or mayhaps my kitchen doesn't do color correctly. Frogging is the best way forward sometimes, but I hate doing it. I will see if I can't get a copy of the first book you are recommending.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I went to hear Ta-newish Coats speak this fall and was quite taken with his ideas. A small but important book to b sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your Brickless, and now it will work out at the end, so a frustrating but necessary frog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know, those stinky directions and understanding them, it's a thing. it's a thing of rinse & repeat. I misunderstand so much I've thought I was doing something wrong when I had it right, sigh. But I'm glad you're back on the path of completion!

    Great book recommendations. Ghettoside seems like something my husband would appreciate. I think Between the World and Me might be more my speed...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Brickless is looking terrific. Sorry about the frogging, sometimes it just has to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I read directions better too :) lovely bright pink color!! the first book sounds intriguing and so do the others.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel your pain with the frogging - I feel like I have spent more time knitting backwards than forwards recently.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry about the frogging, that why I gave up knitting and took up a crochet hook, I always find red a really tricky colour to phototgraph. Have a good weekend
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete