Tuesday, March 22, 2016

One New, One Old

Let's face it: How many of us can come home with a load of new yarn and not cast some of it on right away? Maybe some of you have more self-control than I do. But it didn't take long for me to set up my swift and ball winder, so I knew that I'd be casting on.

After all, I am on spring break.  So I do have more time on my hands. I decided that meant I could be a little bit virtuous. Before casting on, I pulled out a UFO, one that I really felt I could finish:
This is a market-bag in cotton. At the moment I can't find the name of the pattern or the yarn. I know the pattern is from Creative Knitting magazine. And the yarn was on sale at my LYS. I'm well beyond the halfway point, so I'm hoping to finish before school starts.

Feeling properly virtuous, I cast on Antarktis by Janina Kallio in Eden Cottage Yarn, both of which I picked up Saturday at the Knit-In. The yarn is a wool-silk blend that is going to be perfect for summer. The yarn knits like a dream, smooth and, well, silky.
My plan is to finish it in time for my trip to the West Coast in July.

As for reading, I finished My Brilliant Friend. I liked it but I can't say that I loved it. I'm not sure why it is such a worldwide sensation. However, there is a twist at the end that not only made the book worth reading but also has tempted me to start book 2. We'll see.

Here's what's up next. 
 
This Should Be Written in the Pressent Tense is a literary novel by Helle Helle, who is a star in her native Denmark. I'm also going to start a Jennifer Haigh novel set in industrial Pennsylvania. Haigh is a good writer and I lived in Pittsburgh for a time, so I'm hoping to enjoy this one.

It isn't all fun and games here at Chez Caffeine. A chunk of Monday was devoted to finished my PDP -- the written document I need to renew my teaching license -- and I have a lot of house decluttering to do. Not that I'm complaining. I know I'm lucky to get school breaks!

I'll be joining Ginny for Yarn Along.

15 comments:

  1. A little bit of work. A little bit of reading. A whole lot of knitting! It's all about balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurrah for spring break, eh? Love your newest project; you may need it in July! It will be interesting to see how you like Baker Towers; I've seen it on other blogs but don't know this author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty projects! I am not in the category of having to use new yarn right away and sadly that is why my stash looks like it does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fight that urge by not caking my new purchases until I am casting on. If they are caked they are too much temptation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of your projects are gorgeous and no I can't wait to cast on as soon as I purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ugh oh that bag is super cute! Go ahead cast on! Its your break and it is well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was gifted some new yarn on Saturday and I admit, I cast on pretty much right away too. Like you I did the virtuous thing and finished the sock on needles, but only so that I could get to the new project ASAP.

    Bet that Eden Cottage yarn is gorgeous! And won't it feel like a dream as a shawl!?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you will LOVE baker towers :) I love the market bag that has no name but it's somewhere. Have a wonderful restorative spring break! filled with lots of reading and knitting of course.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was also intrigued by Baker Towers because I grew up in Pittsburgh...do we know each other? (hee hee....I'm certain someday I'm going to find someone I know through these blogs!!!!!) Love that Market Bag....and your new yarn is GORGEOUS!!!! (I knit that shawl awhile ago.....it's truly a keeper.) Have the BEST spring break....you've already got a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for saying hello! I've knit about 7 of the antarktis- favorite pattern even!! Thanks for the book suggestion - I live in Pittsburgh and will check it out for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your market bag, you can never have too many in my opinion.
    And your Antarktis is really quite stunning. There is just something about knitting with yarn that really touches you that makes a project even more special.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love casting on. It's such an exciting feeling. I'm a fan of that shawl pattern I hope you enjoy it as well. I always look forward to your reading reviews. good luck on the pdp and the decluttering. Decluttering is a dream I keep avoiding. ha! I want the reward without the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the color of your market bag. Antarktis has been on my list for a while. Enjoy your spring break.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been interested in searching out authors from other countries besides the USA and England... thanks for recommending author Helle Helle's book, I may give it a try.

    ReplyDelete