Sunday, March 27, 2016

Birthday Weekend

For my Mom's 80th birthday, Keith and I offered to take my parents to Chicago for the weekend. It turned into a real celebration when my brother, niece, and daughter flew in from DC and Florida.

The main event was dinner last night at an amazing restaurant, Trattoria 10, which a cousin helped me choose. I have a number of cousins in the Windy City, and most of them were able to join us to celebrate. The two grandaughters who were present gave speeches -- and made my mom cry (in a good way). It was really sweet.
I was happy to have so much family around, especially my daughter, Rachel. She had just defended her master's thesis Thursday, so we had a lot to celebrate.
Rachel left a little while ago, which was hard for me.  Florida feels very far away!

I don't think I ever did an FO picture of this shawl. It is Silverlight by Melanie Berg in Sun Valley Fiber yarns. I'd link it but I don't know how to link on my Fire.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend.

10 comments:

  1. How fun! Florida is only a plane ride away or so I tell myself when I think of my son in Ohio,
    Hugs,
    MEredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to your sweet Mom! I'm sure she had a great time having so much family around to celebrate.

    Love the picture of you and your daughter. Congrats on her Master's thesis defense. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful gift, one your folks will remember for years to come. Great photo of you and your daughter! Our dd#1 plus GK live outside of Chicago, near Mundelein. Love your shawl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel for your poor Mom heart at having to say goodbye. It's never easy. What a treat you gave your parents. What a lucky mom and day they are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 80 is worth celebrating big! Sounds wonderful !!! It is so hard to say goodbye. We always end up bawling...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful weekend and a great reason to get everyone together and celebrate! I feel for you saying good bye to your daughter. Sending you a hug for that Momache.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds as though you have had a lovely weekend, but always sad to say goodbye. Love the silverlight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what an incredibly sweet birthday treat.....and all the family that came for it! WOW!!! Good job!!! Creating great memories! What life is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chicago sounds like fun. I've only been twice...both times with bad weather. I know there's hope for blue skies, however.

    Happy knitting this week. xoxo Andrea @ This Knitted Life

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had a superb Birthday Weekend. Your trip looks great! I am going to visit couple of Chicago venues to book them for my birthday party. Hoping to get everything organized within my budget which is not that huge.

    ReplyDelete